• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stranded out of town numerous codes misfire

Ziggystardust53

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. I went out of town and am now stranded. Started misfiring bad right when pulling into town on the highway. Rough idle at low rpm. Pulled the following codes. P0302, P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305, P1494, P0171. Plugs are new and had no issue with the plug swap. Any advice would be awesome I have a hour and half drive back home. Thanks.

What year are you in? In cases like this more info is better than less.

Time to check your grounds. Don't just look at them and say they're good unbolt them, clean them with a brush or something then reattach.

After that you're going to have to go down the rabbit hole of figuring out what's causing all those misfire codes. All those po300 codes are misfire related. P1494 is a evap detection pump code and p0171 is a lean code, not surprising with all the misfire codes.

Once you've verified your grounds are good check the connections at each sensor. SOmetimes unplugging them and plugging them back in can scrape some corrosion off and give you a good connection again.

New plugs + misfire codes = I would suspect a plug problem.

Could be as simple as a wire not fully seated on a plug, worked fine for a while and then vibration/arcing added up and created a connection problem.

Could be as odd as a failure on the part of a new sparkplug. I have never had a spark plug fail, but I have seen plenty of manufacturing mistakes.

If it were me I would start by pulling plugs and reading them for clues.

When new symptoms might be related to recent maintenance or repair work, start your troubleshooting with that work. What brand and part number spark plugs ? What is the age and condition of the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires ?

Any injector or O2 sensor wires damaged during the plug install, or loose and rubbing on sharp metal or hot exhaust ?

Buy any contaminated gas ?

Solving the P0171 will likely solve the P0300 series codes as well.

P0171 JEEP - Fuel System 1/1 Lean

P0171 JEEP Possible Causes:
Intake air leaks
Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
Ignition misfiring
Faulty fuel injectors
Exhaust gas leaks
Incorrect fuel pressure
Lack of fuel
Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor

pull off spark wires, do one at a time off, and note the idle change if any. A bad plug, or spark wire or cap will give little or no change in idle rpm when disconnected.

If all six give same result, then problem is likely not isolated to a single cylinder, and thus may be an issue of bad coil, vad coil ground and power input, bad center cap wire or electrode, etc tgat effects all six cylinders.

You may also wish to remove the plugs and inspect condition, note differences.
Assuming you got a wrench for this.

If you got an ohm meter, check the spark wires cap.

If volt meter, check voltage to coil primary when operating, note voltage when revved.

at idle, listen to engine near plugs, wires and hear if there is any snap noises, or crack noises, basically an arc jumping is what you try to hear, an arc from a cracked plug, or busted spark wire, t will be a tick ticktick noise at idle. if pitch dark, look at the sark wires at idle, look for flashes of arcing, you should see no arcing. I have found defects sing all these methods

Could be you got a bad plug, sometime one is damaged, or maybe a spark wire gave up when removed last, or some connector got jostled around.

could be an injector is clogged or not getting proper command to fire. remove each injector electric plug, one at a time, and note idle speed change, if no change, then that injector was not firing before.

sure you could have an intake leak, but that is not going to be related to a recent plug change. You can test for intake leak with aerosol spray can of flammable carb cleaner, at idle, spray at suspect leaks, around gasket, etc and note for idle speed change.

good luck

As others have mentioned, take a close look at the distributor (assuming you
have one). The distributor cap center terminal may have broken, or the rotor
has come apart. Either would cause misfires on different cylinders. Also the
cap to coil wire would be suspect.

Back