• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BleepinJeep's Project Scorpion Crawler Build Thread

BleepinJeep

NAXJA Forum User
So a few subscribers to the BleepinJeep youtube channel have asked for a build thread on the scorpion crawler and I am here to ablidge.

I'll start by listing the plans:

•I started with a 98XJ. I am building it as my own personal crawler purpose built for crawling here in the East TN area.

•Dovetail Front and Rear. I'd like to bring the rear all the way to a point but still look sorta like an XJ. The goal is to be able to roll it... roll it back over and keep trecking... so not much body left when done. I will be keeping the A-pillar, the windshield, the roof, the I6, and the auto tranny but pretty much everything else is out the window. (yes I know it probably would have been easier to just make a buggy from scratch but I'm the cherokee guy so where's the fun in that??)

•Fully caged
•No doors or glass except for the windshield
•4 racing seats
•Double triangulated 4 link suspension
•ORI's all around
•Full Hydro PSC double ended ram
•4x6 rectangular tubing sliders with low angle boatsides
•39.5" TSL's and 15" Raceline beadlocks
•Teraflex 4:1 transfer case w/ Novak cable shifter and Rough Country SYE
•Custom Belly Skid with TMR tranny mount

Now I know I'm gonna get crap here for using Dana44 axles but you'll just have to deal with it... It's my rig and this is what I want to do so dont give me shit about it. If the D44's keep breaking I'll bolt a 60 and 14b in there and be done with it. But the plan is to stay narrow and be light. I wheeled the snot out of my last crawler (there are videos of it if you'd like to look them up) with 36" tires and went everywhere the "big boys" with 44" tires could go... So I still plan to do the same just on a slightly larger tire. On with the list:

•TJ D44 front w/ RCV's and custom double shear knuckles, TMR customs truss, and customized TMR 4 link brackets, with Ox locker and e-selector
•XJ D44 Rear with Ruffstuff Truss and spool.
•5.13 gears
•Onboard air will be CO2 from Powertank
•Custom dash

Paint scheme - I'm thinking I'd like to do a bass boat type green fleck across the middle of the hood and roof where it should stay fairly safe and just have the sides black so I can touch up the paint as it gets scratched.

As for the scorpion theme, you'll just have to wait and see what I have in store for you there... Scorpion was my favorite character in mortal combat! (but I dont like yellow vehicles so don't even mention it)

I'm sure I have forgotten a lot of stuff but I'll add that when I think of it. I'll try to add pictures as I go but I think the YT videos are much better;)

Here are some updated photos:

I borrowed some tires from a buddy to get an idea... although these are 37" and I am still waiting on 39.5's.

IMG_3965_zpstjbz5f2c.jpg

IMG_3968_zpsswoma6mx.jpg

This is the EOR 4-link kit that I had quite a bit of problems with:

IMG_4051_zpsj8x6hhtp.jpg

As you can see it needed some modifications to fit as I would have expected it to:

IMG_4109_zpsg4mfsdir.jpg

starting to cut for the boatsides:

IMG_4226_zpslsmkvrzx.jpg

IMG_4236_zpsoihaglfc.jpg

IMG_4243_zpsvscmu2xk.jpg

I tucked the tranny up with a kit from TMR customs so I wont have to deal with it falling if I need to remove the belly skid. Also installed the teraflex 4:1

IMG_4622_zpsktwktzte.jpg

Decided to cut out the floor as well:

IMG_4656_zpsttfqvstj.jpg

Had a buddy turn down some bushings to make the EOR kit work properly:

IMG_4663_zpsuxgf8opg.jpg

Cont...

I made my own frame stiffeners for the rear:

IMG_4832_zpstqsfngwi.jpg

I customized the Ruff Stuff Specialties frame stiffiners to use for the front end:

IMG_4939_zps1xo5fmax.jpg

IMG_4944_zpshiuryutt.jpg

IMG_4950_zpsotdkttsl.jpg

I cut the front support out cause I wanted it up and out of the way:

IMG_4955_zps31rgbwva.jpg

I replaced it with this, that bottom angle is not part of it, it's just holding the jeep up:

IMG_4962_zpss3xi5xav.jpg

I was working so hard I forgot to trim my mustache:

IMG_5062_zpssbr0adbs.jpg

I picked up a plasma cutter which has come in super handy, like for making these 1/4 panels:

IMG_5100_zpsoydiynhk.jpg

IMG_5103_zps3y8hioud.jpg

IMG_5107_zpshhrnpul6.jpg

IMG_5125_zpsosvgbx5n.jpg

Because of the width, I needed to make my own winch bumper:

IMG_5132_zpszvpwgdih.jpg

Here is the sliders, new floor, which is also a boatside:

IMG_5189_zpsnubobfoc.jpg

From the bottom, boatsides are 1/4" plate:

IMG_5191_zps4uoxpq07.jpg

IMG_5195_zpssg0bqi1p.jpg

The sliders are 2x6 and to save some weight I cut them in half and used 1/8" for the tops and 1/4" for the bottom:

IMG_5197_zpshlgafbl2.jpg

The original seat sliders still work after a little trimming:

IMG_5199_zpsyvn7xjex.jpg

I was proud of these welds, thick to thin:

IMG_5204_zpsv7k2f4jw.jpg

except for that bit in the corner:

IMG_5207_zpsikizwduz.jpg

I decided to keep the stock tail lights, well because they are cheap and easy to find but also they keep it looking like a cherokee over those boxy LED housings:

IMG_5225_zpse5hdshaa.jpg

IMG_5235_zpsg2mofit6.jpg

My new toy hauler:

IMG_5240_zpst90y5six.jpg

Once I got one boatside in I was very happy, but then I got depressed when I remembered there was a whole other side:

IMG_5262_zps9mqtsrhx.jpg

IMG_5265_zpsakchims6.jpg

It took me a while but I finally got the nerve to cut the roof:

IMG_5282_zpsewhzvwek.jpg

And that's where it sits now. I just started working on the cage. Just about all of this build is on video or soon will be if you guys are interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1U__4as20wGdSRJe9-4x_areLhP3D0IT

IMG_5290_zps7dhgjjlt.jpg

Very cool.

Keep up the good work.

Not sure where you got that info but no

Well the front TJ44 uses D30 tubes/outers and the XJ44 is D35 size tubes. And the brakes for both aren't really up to the task. What's your plans for those? Why not at least 1/2-3/4t 44's?

to much tire for those axles, may work it a super lightweight buggy but not on a plated/caged xj, and you got big heavy tire and with 5.13's the R&P will be very weak if you don't pop a shaft first. also the teralow kit hates high RPM's

Back