• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing the rockers w/ tube steel

Prepmech

NAXJA Member #981
I've decided to cut out the rockers and replace it with some stronger steel. Just a few questions:

Will this be just as strong as conventional bolt on rocker guard?
What size box tubing should I use to keep it looking as close as stock as possible?
Where is the best place to cut out the old rockers?
Is it possible to replace the rockers with round tubing?

Stronger.

Get out yer measurin' tools, smart guy. But wouldn't a rectangular tube sticking out past the door help protect the doors? Then you wouldn't need the bubble wrap body armor.

Pinch seam and outer edge of door sill.

Yes. That's creative.

Last edited:
I would try carbon fiber to match the taillights.

:)

Dirk Pitt said:
I would try carbon fiber to match the taillights.

:)

:yelclap: :laugh2:

By all means, strength and light weight! I bet I could snag some of that composite material from here (Boeing Phantom Works.)

Lawn Cher' said:
:yelclap: :laugh2:

By all means, strength and light weight! I bet I could snag some of that composite material from here (Boeing Phantom Works.)

Make sure it's of the stealth flavor. That way the rocks can't find it.

:gag:

Dirk Pitt said:
Make sure it's of the stealth flavor. That way the rocks can't find it.

:gag:

[Stewie voice] Oh yes, that's it. [/Stewie voice]

How's that for ideas, "outside the box?"

:wave:

Pontoons and an outboard motor, that would be sweet! I bet you could mount one to some of those rediculous prerunner bumpers and rig it up to the steering linkage.

Lawn Cher' said:
Pontoons and an outboard motor, that would be sweet! I bet you could mount one to some of those rediculous prerunner bumpers and rig it up to the steering linkage.

4x4 steel front bumper with the optional sea-worthy front skid....
I hear it helps you get up on plane....

Trying to figure out a way to add some street-glow lights into the design...

Been doing a little more research and I think I am going to scrap the round tube idea and go with some box tubing, and add a round tube step rail to it (like the JKS rock rails).

Another question I can't find an answer to, what should I do to make sure it drains? I don't want to make a trap where salt water will sit and eat away at my junk. Stock it has drains on the pinch seam, which probably won't work with the box tube design.

Prepmech said:
Another question I can't find an answer to, what should I do to make sure it drains? I don't want to make a trap where salt water will sit and eat away at my junk. Stock it has drains on the pinch seam, which probably won't work with the box tube design.

Well, if you stay out of the ocean you shouldn't have any problems with saltwater. You'd need an Ocean Runner outboard for that application anyway. Search for "scuppers" to handle drainage.

Prepmech said:
Trying to figure out a way to add some street-glow lights into the design...

Been doing a little more research and I think I am going to scrap the round tube idea and go with some box tubing, and add a round tube step rail to it (like the JKS rock rails).

What needs to drain? wont you be replacing everything were water would be trapped? cap the ends, solid welds? I like the round tube addition for a step.. trying to figure out how to help my wife get in easier....

Forget about the street glow, go with sealed LED rope lights...

Lawn Cher' said:
Well, if you stay out of the ocean you shouldn't have any problems with saltwater. You'd need an Ocean Runner outboard for that application anyway.

Just got a place in Florida, so it'll be in the salt water every now and then. I am going to be using it as a gator boat mostly though.

Ludakris said:
What needs to drain? wont you be replacing everything were water would be trapped? cap the ends, solid welds? I like the round tube addition for a step.. trying to figure out how to help my wife get in easier....

Forget about the street glow, go with sealed LED rope lights...

Yeah, the girlfriend has been complaining about not being able to get into the jeep for a while now. But, I love watching my friends flounder like a beached walrus trying to get in.

Prepmech said:
Just got a place in Florida, so it'll be in the salt water every now and then. I am going to be using it as a gator boat mostly though.

Where at in Florida? My parents live in Inverness and I make it down to visit at least once a year.

Prepmech said:

Anyone ever mounted one of those big fans on a c4x4 rear bumper?

Prepmech said:
Anyone ever mounted one of those big fans on a c4x4 rear bumper?

You gotta stop thinking like a mechanic and start thinking like an engineer... you can make anything fit onto anything given enough time, money, expertise and material. Doing it elegantly and efficiently is what takes real skill and talent. Of course you can turn an XJ into an airboat! But a MJ would be better since the hatch wouldn't be there to block the airflow into the fan. I was gonna make a MJ snowmobile for about 5 minutes one time after seeing this cool halftrack van with treads in the rear and snowboards in the front in Pulaski, NY while on a steelhead fishing trip. Then I remembered it didn't snow enough in Jersey to really warrant it.

Last edited:
Back