• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-gearing

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Ok y'all....I am about 2 weeks from my commission check, which means, spending on the Jeep!

My plan is to get an 8.8 with 4.10s and LSD from an Explorer. However, I have no idea how to do gears on the D30 front to match.

I called 4 Wheel Parts and they quoted me $620 for parts and labor to install it.

Realistically...what would I expect to pay for just the necessary parts...

And...are there enough NAXJA people within an hour or two of Nashville that can re-gear an axle where I might get by with paying pizza and beer for labor and teaching me the ropes some weekend.

Finally...how long a process is it to do a front axle re-gear? One day job? Weekend? Couple hours?

The back axle won't be a problem. I've got a buddy that can do all the necessary welding for me.

I'm not terribly interested in upgrading my axles/gears if the front alone is over $600!!

I only get commissioned once a year, though, so I need to think out my projects well in advance!

Thanks in advance for the insights...

Did Eric quote the job with the club discount? I talked to him a few weeks ago and he said everything was set up in the system.

That price is about right and considering they warranty those parts (G2 brand anyways), that could make it worth it.

you could do it a little cheaper than that, if you bought the parts, and the tools. it's not too hard to do yourself, just time consuming. i'd keep an eye out for a d30 that's already geared and swap the whole thing. it's much cheaper!

you could do it a little cheaper than that, if you bought the parts, and the tools. it's not too hard to do yourself, just time consuming. i'd keep an eye out for a d30 that's already geared and swap the whole thing. it's much cheaper!

Yeah, no kidding and its something he could do himself. If its of any interest to you, I do gear installs for $250. You provide the parts, but I also recommend the G2 gears. You will also need a carrier and a master install kit. And, if it makes you feel better, my work also carries a warranty. :)

Last time I was at PAP I saw a V6 XJ. A lot of those had 4.10 gears. The parts would run $250 to $300 to regear it your self. Me and Joe can regear a D30. I've set up about a dozen 8.8's. By the time you buy the parts, pay for gas to chatt, and pay Rock solid offroad to set it up, you could pay 4 wheel parts to do it and have waranteed localy.

RSORF will be doing my D30 gears and rear 8.8 install. Waiting a few more days to get the last of the necessary funds. Setting up gears is something I don't trust myself to tackle.

I have run both nitro and yukon gears with good results. I am not familure with G2 gears at all. Unless they are that brand that has such a bad rep. Canot rembmer the name atm. You can get gears from one or two different venders on here that are good prices IMHO. West coast I believe is still a vendor/sponsor. There is another one but the name excapes me. As for the install all I can say is get it done right the first time. I have always been told that most gears fail from improper set up. I had mind done by someone I knew and had seen their work so I would know they were done right. I also see him all the time and he knows I'd give him hell if he screwed up.

Back