• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Timber

I generally drive it every day, yes sir. I've been fixing small stuf fon it, but it really needs my undivided attention to reach it's full potential.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Awesome!!! You know what to do, give it what it needs!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got all my interior lights working with LED bulbs.

13f61e0cc7c57a0c2238dd289629678e.jpg

c8873961e455f94fb8f3b51e838c0cc6.jpg

I installed an under the hood light too.

34c24d1fa954ce16e8b3a4f95a3095f2.jpg

I painted and mounted my center console too but it’s the wrong color. I’ll have to get the right color and repaint it but that’s the easy part.

3d2beb24e58a11b185d0f1022f0b8737.jpg

Got a new radio put in too.

8caf486212d03f4fc6cdf0afc5b61193.jpg

I need to do a little adjusting to it to make it center the opening though.

Nice! I want to put a VW 2.0 from my jetta in an mj too. Then I started looking at adapter prices..... :bawl:

That would be a cool swap.

Oh yea I also forgot we have an 87 MJ out back. LG got rear-ended in his 99 Mercedes Diesel. He's fine car not so much. I'm almost got him convinced to take that OM606 and put it in the Mj.... Just thought I would keep the NAXJA tradition of derailing your thread...... :scottm:

Well. Got the new alternator on it. It was pretty straightforward: 2 mounting bolts, plug in connector, single wire connected and belt routing. Started it up and nothing on the gauge.

Went and got a multi tester and got this.

e9f045132542d63a07a57e92d9ed3cc6.jpg

I know the alternator is working but the stupid gauge shows.....

20b7cf3f19a5dc3a6d00b3f344dd070c.jpg

Nothing.

I’ve ordered upgraded cables and will replace all of them once they come in. I’m hoping that the terrible grounds on this thing will be fixed once and for all.

Who did you order cables from?

Who did you order cables from?

JeepCables here on NAXJA. He is a vendor. MeanLemons is out of business.

Well. Got the new alternator on it. It was pretty straightforward: 2 mounting bolts, plug in connector, single wire connected and belt routing. Started it up and nothing on the gauge.

Went and got a multi tester and got this.

e9f045132542d63a07a57e92d9ed3cc6.jpg

I know the alternator is working but the stupid gauge shows.....

20b7cf3f19a5dc3a6d00b3f344dd070c.jpg

Nothing.

I’ve ordered upgraded cables and will replace all of them once they come in. I’m hoping that the terrible grounds on this thing will be fixed once and for all.

How about the regulator? I think it’s external on that gen XJ.

Didn't you put a different cluster in? I assume it died when the alt died and is not the cluster. I would check wiring and the gauge.

How about the regulator? I think it’s external on that gen XJ.

I was thinking the regulator is internal but the alternator is charging the battery so wether it’s internal or not it appears to be working. I had both the leads on the battery cables at the battery. If the regulator was bad I wouldn’t show a charging reading, right?

Didn't you put a different cluster in? I assume it died when the alt died and is not the cluster. I would check wiring and the gauge.

I did swap clusters out but the gauge was working after I swapped them. I’m guessing the actual gauge itself went bad. My plan is to pull it out and put 12 volts directly to it and see what it reads. If it reads 12 volts then I have a wiring issue.

I was thinking the regulator is internal but the alternator is charging the battery so wether it’s internal or not it appears to be working. I had both the leads on the battery cables at the battery. If the regulator was bad I wouldn’t show a charging reading, right?

You know, I’m not sure that’s the case. I say that because after I did my motor swap, got it all back together, I didn’t tighten the belt enough. It started fine and ran a few times and all was normal (gauges read as they should). Then, on Th e 3rd or 4th time starting it the belt popped off. The truck stayed running, just not cooling or alternator. The volt gauge read ZERO. Battery was at 12.36, gauge ready ZERO. Only after replacing the belt did the volt gauge come back. My gen has an internal regulator, so it made sense to me. It might be the case for you.

I’ll recheck the belt but it was routed correctly and was tight but that’s not to say something screwy didn’t happen.

What gauge cables did you get from JeepCables?

I got the 4ga cables. Since the truck is staying stock without a lot of extra draw on the electrical system, these will be way ahead of the stock wiring and do all I need.

I did recheck the belt and all is good there. I haven't been able to pull the cluster to check the gauge but maybe this weekend I will have time to do that.

I did recheck the belt and all is good there. I haven't been able to pull the cluster to check the gauge but maybe this weekend I will have time to do that.

When I mentioned the voltage regulator I wasn’t talking about the belt at all. It is my understanding that the gauge gets its reading directly from the voltage regulator. It being external makes it something to check separately.

Back