• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What tires to run in South Florida (tried search)

notAdub

NAXJA Forum User
I just moved here from Pittsburgh, PA and i currently am running 30" Firestone Destination A/T's (My XJ is my dd).

But I have noticed a lot of places near by to do a little wheelin' but it is all sand, I need / want tires soon, just unsure of what to get. Size recomendations? I have a Rustys 3" lift on a 2001 XJ.

Thanks!

I was thinking those as well, but just read somewhere that the claws don't hold up sp well in pavement daily driving use. I was thinking BFG M/T's or A/T's or Pro Comp XTerrains.

The TSL Radial is a pretty good sand tire as well as mud and rock too. They come in 30x10.5, 31x9.5, 32x10.5, and 33x10.5 & 12.5...I don't know how well they will hold up for daily driving though. A friend of mine runs the x-terrains and seems to like them.

I Like the Firestones I have, as far as price and wear, and the mild wheelin I have done with them back nroth (mud / dirt trails) they have surprised me as far as how well they preformed. I do want a bigger tire, and liek that the BFG A/T's seem a bit more aggressive, but I was also looking to get just an all around more aggressive tire, like the XTerrains.

But that might not be sensible on a DD.

I would also like to spend as little as possible as I need 5 tires.

Yea, when i had my tj I ran it in the sand down there with the little 215's it cam with. Never got stuck but always kept the gas on too.

Ok well ive got summit mud dawgs as my DD tire there 31s and ive got a BB and they work great tried them yesterday with mud and rock and they work great im sure they could handle the sand too.

If you will see ANY mud and still want a decent road tire with good mileage you pretty much can't beat the BFG MT for Florida.

If you will not see mud (unlikely) then the BFG AT is even better as it will do VERY well in Florida sugar sand and lasts a VERY long time on the street.

The Cooper does well. There is a company that sells them that we do a lot of business with. St. Lucie Battery and Tire. http://www.slbatterytire.com/

I ran BFG ATs when I lived in FL. Never had a problem offroad and they are great on the street as well. Keep in mind that your daily driver needs to be good on wet pavement in FL. A lot of mud terrains suck on wet pavement.

Glen

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! I will make my decision in the next few months, but being from the north and wanting to head north t owheel in the near future, I may lean toward the BFG M/T, but I have heard A LOT of good things about the BFG A/T's as well as an all around great tire on and off the road. I have just never wheeled in the sand and wanted to make sure what would be best. I don't know anyone down here yet, and don't have any recovery equipment of my own yet (I know, I am stupid).

Where are you?

Where are some good local places to wheel? I was told by someone that things are pretty relaxed here, and basically if there is no "No Tresspassing" signs posted, then it is more or less a fair playing field.

I am not sure if I buy that, but there is a small but nice little spot real close to my place that (while biking) I saw some trails and tons of tire tracks all over.

About wheeling in Ft Myers...

The places around are mostly mud pits, there are very few trails and you have to watch out for drunk idiots on ATV's.
Check out http://www.flexplorers.com , it started as a Ford Explorer group but anything rides. They are based in South Florida. Do not mind the main page, go straight to the forums.

As for the tires, I'll also vote for the BFG AT's, 30x9.5 if you can fit'em...

Back