• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J

Pgw1995

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a new SYE in my 231 transfer case. There is around 1/4”-1/2” play in and out of the main shaft. It could have been like that before, should have checked. I have tore it down 3 times to see if I had forgotten something, snap ring, etc. I haven’t left anything out. If a part was that wore out, wouldn’t it be pretty obvious? I tore it completely down this time. One of the thrust washers is broke, but that is very thin. It also looks like the hub is spinning on the shift fork???? I can not find any obvious parts wore enough to give me that much play. The broke thrust washer could be why the hub is touching the shift fork, if it has let my input shaft set deeper, which would make the output shaft set a little deeper also, because it is very small scratches. Any suggestions on what else to check. Thanks.

I don’t see anymore slots in the shaft for another locking ring. Would there happen to be 2 thrust washers under the input shaft gear? Or is it possible that the pilot bearing for the main shaft could be installed to deep? Didn’t have any issues with the case. It worked fine, tail housing just leaked oil like a crazy. I just don’t know what it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be some in and out play with the yoke not installed but with the yoke installed and torqued to spec, it should have no play.

Back