• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shuts off shortly after start up

Scrubber3

NAXJA Forum User
My 2001 XJ works normal 99% if the time. Randomly though, just about 2 to 3 seconds after I start it up, it'll shut off. It will continue to do this until I disconnect the battery for about a minute then reconnect. Afterwards, it does like its suppose to. No other issues. No check engine light. The drive cycle can be totally complete and have no issues for months. Then out of the blue this will happen. I don't mind lugging around a 10mm wrench with me to pull a terminal off every once and a while, but it'd be nice to fix it. I've checked all the relays I know to check. Im thinking PCM but it's just so random....

Does your XJ have the optional Factory installed SKIS/SKIM anti-theft system ? The Sentry Key ignition key is gray and the chip reader device is at the ignition cylinder.

Assuming you have done some diagnostic troubleshooting and checking/testing of the ignition mechanicals and electricals, the symptoms described are typical of a faulty chip-in-key ignition key or the key reader device.

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is designed to provide passive protection against unauthorized vehicle use by preventing the engine from operating while the system is armed. The primary components of this system are the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM), the Sentry Key transponder, the SKIS indicator lamp, and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The SKIM is installed on the steering column near the ignition lock cylinder. The transponder is located under the molded rubber cap on the head of the ignition key. The SKIS indicator lamp is located in the instrument cluster. The SKIS includes two valid Sentry Key transponders from the factory. If the customer wishes, additional noncoded blank Sentry Keys are available. These blank keys can be cut to match a valid ignition key, but the engine will not start unless the key transponder is also programmed to the vehicle using the Customer Learn programming procedure or a DRB-III scan tool. The SKIS will recognize no more than eight valid Sentry Key transponders at any one time.

standard.jpg

It is in fact a grey key. Funny how disconnecting the battery will fix it albeit temporarily. That eliminates that a problem is with the key one would think. That leaves the pcm or the immobilizer itself.

Funny how disconnecting the battery will fix it .......

Until doing that doesn't fix it.

If it were my XJ, I would find a compatible PCM and remove the key reader device, deleting the SKIS completely.

If the PCM is in fact bad, and you want to keep the SKIS, a replacement PCM would need re-programming and to be married to the SKIS.

Until doing that doesn't fix it.

If it were my XJ, I would find a compatible PCM and remove the key reader device, deleting the SKIS completely.

If the PCM is in fact bad, and you want to keep the SKIS, a replacement PCM would need re-programming and to be married to the SKIS.
So would getting a pcm out of a non SKIS equipped xj and taking out the key reader device work? Still keeping everything else?

So would getting a pcm out of a non SKIS equipped xj and taking out the key reader device work? Still keeping everything else?

Yes, a compatible PCM will work.

Last edited:
You cant just get any PCM from any XJ -- it has to match your year -- I'll assume you don't want matching part numbers on the PCM

The question I have is how do you know it's a non SKIS equipped PCM -- Most likely you wont have a key to look at that matches the replacement PCM

Where is the SKIS module located? Is it right in the steering column?

Luckily none of my XJs have this problem

Yeah, same year... might be a task to find it, but I've a pick and pull I frequent that may be of use. I'll just pull the steering column cover off to check.

What they said. Find a PCM from an XJ that has the same number of catalytic converters and O2 sensors as yours.

I had the SKIM system die on my Jeep so I had to have it towed to the dealer whereupon they said the words “national backorder”, we can’t get the parts to fix it, come and get it.

*GULP* it appeared that my Jeep just become a brick.

This was late on a Friday afternoon. Before I could get up there on Monday afternoon to pick it up they had devised some kind of a fix which they wouldn’t divulge and it was running again.

Over the weekend I had done some research and had found places that could re-flash the PCM to remove the SKIM function, but whatever the dealer did fixed the problem and I didn’t have to ship the PCM off.

I was left wondering what you’d do if the SKIM crapped out deep in the woods... at least yours is giving you a warning.

Have you had the error codes pulled yet?
I would do that firstly.
Can you pull the codes on your model with the ignition on/off trick?
A kill switch might be a cheap way to save undoing disconnecting in the mean time.

SKIS/SKIM failures do not typically light the Check Engine Light or store a trouble code. About mid 1998 model year, the key on-off trick to display trouble codes was eliminated.

At the local U-Pull-It junkyard a used PCM is $18. A used PCM does not need to be re-flashed, unless it is not an exact part number match, or if the donor Cherokee has SKIS/SKIM already enabled, or if your local Smog Testing station checks the VIN embedded in the PCM. Having the Dealership attempt to re-flash the PCM or using one of the not very reliable on-line PCM refurbishers to me would only be an emergency solution.

If your Cherokee has the SKIS/SKIM anti-theft, you should have a spare correct part number PCM just in case. Even if you do not have SKIS/SKIM, a spare correct part number PCM is a good thing to have.

Back