• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steerin issues after ADJ. trac bar install

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
so i mounted up an RE adj. trac bar...my axle is centered pretty well now....but me wteering wheel is way off...not too big of a deal...but aparently so is my steering box...i cant get a full right turn....in facti can only get about half way....my left turns go until the tire hits the jeep...
ive dropped the pitman arm....centered my wheel(equal amount of turn each direction and wheel straight)
slide my pitman arms back up....and what do ya know...wheel is crooked as all hell and still wont get a full turn right...

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:huh:

well i want to adjust my steer ahead but why bother fixing that if i cant get a full turn?....
is it possible my wheel moved while underneath?

Disconnect your drag link. Orient your pittman arm so that it's pointing straight back, your steering wheel should be straight. Measure and orient your tires so that they're pointing straight forward. Adjust your drag link so that it mates with your pittman arm without pre-load or moving the pittman arm.

That should get you pretty close. Tighten everything up and test-drive it, re-adjust the drag link if necessary to get the steering wheel centered as it drives straight down the road.

i think i realized my problem...i did it with the jeep lifted...aka...expanded steering..when i set it down it changed the geometry and spun the wheel/box...
im an idiot...lol

The steering wheel s easy to center via the drag link. Simply loosen the pinch bolts and turn the connector sleeve to lengthen or shorten the drag link until the steering wheel is straight assuming the wheels (drive wheels) are already pointing forward.

ya i did the same thing i did before but with the weight of the jeep on the ground...
so my geometry was the same as when i drive....
got my allignment set!
stoked!
thanks guys....

Back