• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission/transfercase upgrade?

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
the aw4 in my 89 is making some serious noise (probably front pump). its mated to a 242 and i assume its 21 spline. ive seen a few aw4/242 combos at the junk yard and in differant years. i know the 90-01 has the 23 spline. will i run into any problems if i get the newer 23 spline combo? are there any other better junk yard options?

I was informed that after 95 you start running in to more mods to do that swap. Electronics basically and servos?

Just get pre 95 and I was told its a basic swap...

Just my own research and not first hand!

the aw4 in my 89 is making some serious noise (probably front pump). its mated to a 242 and i assume its 21 spline. ive seen a few aw4/242 combos at the junk yard and in differant years. i know the 90-01 has the 23 spline. will i run into any problems if i get the newer 23 spline combo? are there any other better junk yard options?

91 switched to 23 spline. 90 should still be 21.

91 switched to 23 spline. 90 should still be 21.
Oh, that is correct also. I didnt see he was off by one year.. 91 ~ = 23spline

thanks, yes i read that too during my search. good point though. do all years have the "power switch" for the trans? mine has that on the dash. im guessing it locks the torque converter earlier.

It changes the shift points and lets you rev higher, i think the newer ones don't have the switch. I have also heard that the newer ones are always wired in the power mode.

so far it sounds like the 91-95 is what i should look for if i want to get both the aw4 and 242 together. if i find a 87-90 i can just get the aw4 and use my 242. sound about right?

It changes the shift points and lets you rev higher, i think the newer ones don't have the switch. I have also heard that the newer ones are always wired in the power mode.

keeping it wired in full time isnt a bad idea anyhow. maybe do something cool with the switch like use it for some lights or something.

so far it sounds like the 91-95 is what i should look for if i want to get both the aw4 and 242 together. if i find a 87-90 i can just get the aw4 and use my 242. sound about right?

Yea that should work.

keeping it wired in full time isnt a bad idea anyhow. maybe do something cool with the switch like use it for some lights or something.

I had thought about that before, I guess i am just to lazy to do that and always install new switches.

just go with an aw4 with a 231 and you can get it from jeep auto salvage for like 7 to 800 bucks for tranny t-case and drive shafts

Victor, you might want to post this up in one of the tech forums and see if you get any other input.
I have never delt with any other year than '96 so I'm not going to be much help.

:D

just go with an aw4 with a 231 and you can get it from jeep auto salvage for like 7 to 800 bucks for tranny t-case and drive shafts

well i suppose useing a 231 would work aswell. i dont really see much benefit in it though except for the aftermarket beaf up kits available. although i havnt heard of too many broken 242s that were in a basic trail rig. if i was building a full crawler id definatly do that swap. as for 7-800 bucks....thats pretty steep compared to PAP. half price days i can get both for around $120 total. aw4 only for about $65.

Rick, thanks. probably a good idea.

well i suppose useing a 231 would work aswell. i dont really see much benefit in it though except for the aftermarket beaf up kits available. although i havnt heard of too many broken 242s that were in a basic trail rig. if i was building a full crawler id definatly do that swap. as for 7-800 bucks....thats pretty steep compared to PAP. half price days i can get both for around $120 total. aw4 only for about $65.

Rick, thanks. probably a good idea.

I haven't heard many 231s failing as I have 242s.

I wouldn't use a 242 if I were you.

I haven't heard many 231s failing as I have 242s.

I wouldn't use a 242 if I were you.
i have 4 jeeps in my driveway.. the two 231s i have are have bad chains.. my 242 has over 200k on it and everything works great..

The 242 vs 231 debate is like the chevy vs ford debate.. They are both very strong transfercases. If you are pushing the 242 beyond its limits, then you should check into an atlas.. as the 231 is only marginally stronger on paper.

Just buy a new trans/t-case, doesnt matter if you have the 231 or 242. And then give me your 242 (=

i have 4 jeeps in my driveway.. the two 231s i have are have bad chains.. my 242 has over 200k on it and everything works great..

The 242 vs 231 debate is like the chevy vs ford debate.. They are both very strong transfercases. If you are pushing the 242 beyond its limits, then you should check into an atlas.. as the 231 is only marginally stronger on paper.

But a properly built 231 is the better pick. Both can run the 6 pinion planet, both can run a fatter chain, but the 231 can have 2-low while the 242 gets stuck in full time. If you are looking for an upgrade, find a 241OR from a TJ rubicon....

yes i kind of feel the same way. you can pretty much break any part if not treated right.
im seeing alot of nice trail rigs still useing the 242 with much success, so im not too worried about running it. but i really do appreciate everyones input on this. it is exactly what i was looking for. yes you will get the debate thing, but thats ok. but i havnt seen an overwhelming responce to ditch the 242 and go 231. as a matter of fact i have been noticing alot of people WANTING the 242, even one person here on just this thread. go figure. i think the most important thing here i should look for is the 23 spline. not sure how much stronger they are than the 21 spline, but i think it will give me more options down the road.

Stretched chains are your argument? No chain driven transfer cases are immune to normal wear and tear. Even the 242.

The 242 is a good transfer case but it lacks all the aftermarket support the 231 has. The multiple times I have seen the 242 fail has been due to overheating and the melting of the shift fork pads. I attribute this to people using it for full time 4WD over time. I have rebuilt many TCs including the Rock tracs and what seems to be every variation of the 231 and have never seen the carnage I have seen inside the damaged 242s. Not to say they too don't exist but as far as how often it comes up, the failed 242s seem to come up on the horizon more than the 231s even though the production of 242s is miniscule compared to the 231s that were spec'd on Jeeps.

Ford vs Chevy? Come on.

hey thanks cracker. the fact that you have first hand experience with these makes a big differance. especially since you have opened alot of them up to see the carnage. your post has got me thinking again. maybe the 231 IS a better choice for me now, since i live in so cal i dont think i will need the full time option. i will just have to make sure it will work for me. will i need to get all the linkage if i get a 231, or will my 242 stuff work? i do plan to get an sye for it so the 231 is a better option that way for sure. plus i know a guy that has a 23 spline 231 but need s a 21 spline 242 and is willing to trade.

Stretched chains are your argument? No chain driven transfer cases are immune to normal wear and tear. Even the 242.

The 242 is a good transfer case but it lacks all the aftermarket support the 231 has. The multiple times I have seen the 242 fail has been due to overheating and the melting of the shift fork pads. I attribute this to people using it for full time 4WD over time. I have rebuilt many TCs including the Rock tracs and what seems to be every variation of the 231 and have never seen the carnage I have seen inside the damaged 242s. Not to say they too don't exist but as far as how often it comes up, the failed 242s seem to come up on the horizon more than the 231s even though the production of 242s is miniscule compared to the 231s that were spec'd on Jeeps.

Ford vs Chevy? Come on.
So be it, But the 2low option is retarded for most people, and doing a H&T is cheaper and i've yet to hear of many problems..

I still dont understand why i should swap my 242 for a 231... with the amount of work it takes.. why not do a true upgrade? 241/atlas etc?

Back