• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TOTM: Rollcages

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
JUNE: Rollcages

This month's dedicated Jeepspeed thread is all about rollcages. With the recent talk on rollcage design, now is as good of a time as any. Let's see what you've built, and what you're going to build. Address anything from triangulation to cage tie-ins.

One that is well planned ahead of time will usually be better than one that's been added to 15 times like mine has.
Mine started as the fairly simple rock crawler type cage, which worked well. (Only tested a hard flop once, but nothing
but sheet metal moved.) But it's a tried and true chassis stiffener. Since we got into racing and prerunning, I have
added a lot of tubes. While I feel it's still safe for what I do, it could have been done a lot cleaner and simpler if
I'd have cut it all out and started over...hindsight...

shocks.jpg

-Dan

I believe a rollcage serves 2 functions. First is to protect the occupants in a rollover. Second is to make the race car a single, rigid unit.

I think a good cage is pretty much tied into the body continuosly from bumper to bumper. This makes the car handle better and last longer. A weld-in rollcage kit serves a purpose and increases safety but a properly built race car needs to have the cage attached at the A,B,C pillars, the roof, the floor and so on.

I can't post pics of my current JS build but if someone wants to post them for me I can email them.

Chris

how would you guys add an "exo cage" top for a built in roof rack, to an exsisting interior roll cage? and then eventually to add a complete exco cage with pillar bars to the sliders and rear bumper, etc....

Let's see ... how would I do a JS cage?!?
I think I would start with a nice pre-fabbed T&J weld in cage kit.
Then get grandiose plans about what to do to my XJ (coilovers, engine cage etc) and let it sit for like 3 years while I buy a house, buy an MJ etc etc
Sorry Jim I couldn't resist :D

ok then assuming you would want to and since it is still technially a roll cage and would be adding into the interior roll cage that is NOT underfabbed how would a person that wanted to tie an exo into an interior cage do such a thing?

ok then assuming you would want to and since it is still technially a roll cage and would be adding into the interior roll cage that is NOT underfabbed how would a person that wanted to tie an exo into an interior cage do such a thing?
This is not a question for the Jeepspeed forum, go ask that question in advanced tech. Adding an exo cage to an already pre-existing interior cage is added weight, and unnecessary.

Let's see ... how would I do a JS cage?!?
I think I would start with a nice pre-fabbed T&J weld in cage kit.
Then get grandiose plans about what to do to my XJ (coilovers, engine cage etc) and let it sit for like 3 years while I buy a house, buy an MJ etc etc
Sorry Jim I couldn't resist :D

Oooooh low blow Curt, low blow. But at least I'm still in California where DESERTS EXIST!! :moon::wave:

This is not a question for the Jeepspeed forum, go ask that question in advanced tech. Adding an exo cage to an already pre-existing interior cage is added weight, and unnecessary.

GET EM JIM!

ive got some mspaint requests once this thread dies down a bit.

Get out the hole saw, cut holes in the roof, run short tubes from the interior cage to the roof rack/roof hoop. I can see a roof hoop/roof rack if you really want a roof rack and want to protect the body, but the rest of the exo is just a bunch of extra weight and ugliness.

If you don't mind doing a search there are a ton of threads about cage design, including combo interior and exo cages. If you search using just my name as poster you'll find a bunch of posts on the subject.

Here is my friend Kenneths Jeep (more torn down now than Jims). He had this roof rack tied to the interior cage as goatman described above. Notice, it was a minimalist approach to roof rack as well.

600_MeyersManxBaja500_001.jpg

I've got a bunch of pics saved from teenycar's build thread over on the jeepspeed site, I'd probably need to ask his permission to post em, but would it be OK to just link to the thread? I really like the way certain parts of his setup came together, the dash in particular.

Alright then, here is a link to his build thread.

http://www.jeepspeed.net/smf/index.php?topic=1554.0

I'm hoping my dash will come out half as nice as his did, with some minor modifications. One thing I really liked about that thread is he took pics of every little step along the way, and explained why he did what he did. great read.

skip to page 8 or so to start getting into the cage pics if you can't bother to read the whole thread;)

Last edited:
i just picked up my t and j cage from tom and mike at the mdr night race. its a great way to start a int cage. saved me alot of time and well worth the money you pay for it in my opinion.

i agree with alot of the topics here. a cage is the heart of a race car its what makes or breaks the chassis. it will hold your car together in hard impacts esp a jeep.

now im gonna have to do alot more tube work to build it to be where i want it to be. also alot of plate work. but im also in the process of building a racecar not a street driven jeep

I've got a bunch of pics saved from teenycar's build thread over on the jeepspeed site, I'd probably need to ask his permission to post em, but would it be OK to just link to the thread? I really like the way certain parts of his setup came together, the dash in particular.

Erik builds some sick shit, really nice work. I hadn't seen his Jeepspeed, thanks for the link.

Last edited:
apparently my search words did not yield what i was looking or i would not have asked.... so thanks for the help and i will search using goatmans name.

Back