• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 questions about ATF

dork

NAXJA Forum User
i did a quick search and didn't come up with anything....

if i were to put a little ATF in my engine for the detergents, how much do i put in with an oil change?! and what kind? (does it matter)

also... i bought the wrong ATF fluid for my tranny.. it says to use mercon/dextronII , or mopar ATFplus... and i bought ATF+3... so i assume i can't use it in there... but, can i use it in my transfer case still?! or does the t-case take a specific kind like the tranny does?!?!?!

I dont think you can even find dex II anymore, most atf is rated as dex II, III. just dont use +4. As far as putting it in your engine its your gamble. Typically atf and and a lot of guys used to use Marvel mystery oil will dissolve carbon not just break it loose which will flow thru oil passages like tiny grains of sand. Carbon deposits are hard and sharp. Doing this can result in oil consumption and smoking from loosening the carbon around the rings. Try a good oil filter and better oil with a higher detergent rating. Personally I use a diesel rated oil in all my rigs, Delo or rotella 15/40. I have 170k on my 95 XJ and guys will run 10 times that on a diesel without any oil related issues.
Personally I think there is a BIG difference in oil and Filters.

dork said:
also... i bought the wrong ATF fluid for my tranny.. it says to use mercon/dextronII , or mopar ATFplus... and i bought ATF+3... so i assume i can't use it in there... but, can i use it in my transfer case still?! or does the t-case take a specific kind like the tranny does?!?!?!

Dextron III/Mercon for the AW4.

Back