• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core install Writeup?

dmxjg35c

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a write up on how to install the heater core, mine is shot, and i got a new one and am going to be taking on this project this weekend, and i wanna get an idea of whats involved before i get started. So if anyone has a writeup that would be great

What year ? Also do a search, someone here had a 97+ that he did it on, convinced me to let the dealer do it on my 98, I need to replace the evaporator for my A/C but no way am I going to do that amount of work...

Don't have a writeup for an 89 but its about a 6 hour job - not fun!

If its leaking you don't have a choice - but if its a no heat problem you may get lucky by removing the heater hoses and using air to unblock it. (Air hose and rag)

its a 95 and i started to look at doing it took apart the lower dash and console since i had a replacement with cup holders to go in anyway, then said hell no! what a pain in the arse when i relized you would have to discharge the ac i said no way. I just flushed out the core yet again, got some more brown crap out and now i have heat again. I pray it stays that way or im going to have to have the dealer do it.

Hey rich how much did the dealer charge you just for an idea.

I got a quote from one of our clubs sponsors, $660 w/parts + freon and tax. I'm procrastinating, if I get the money for a new unlimited then the XJ becomes a fall/winter vehicle but then again I just may do it, was sitting on the fence about doing it my self then saw the write up, NFW. The tough part is I have been trying to get money for getting my gears done but every time I get the bucks something else comes up....

Not sure what you would be up against with a '95, but HERE'S and idea of what you would be up against with a '97 and newer... It's for fixing a leak at the blower seal, but you get the idea..... :eek:

I just did my heater core on my 89, its a pain in the ass, the hardest is just geting the dash outta the way and unboliting the heater box. As for the AC, i just discharged everything through the shrader valve and that was that, AC is something i never use so it dont bother me. If you have a question, u can shoot me an email and i can try to help you out...
[email protected]

Well, at least show us the write up, and let us decide for ourselves.
I too am deciding on whether or not to give it a shot.
I am going to try and flush the core tomorrow, and see if there is any improvement.

Adam

Just watch the pressure or you may blow it out, I'd reverse flush it with hot water and see what comes out first. There is a write up with cautions about what NOT to do like use 150lb shop air for one.... if you do and your floor mats start flapping as the blow out the open doors you will know you used to much...

Back