• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft upgrade

CFasano

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I was just in Cherokee forum and was turned over to you guys cause they said there would be a good amount of people that have worked with aftermarket cams. I have a stock 4.0L L6 Cherokee 1999, with OBD2 sensor. I was looking at installing a larger camshaft so I can have a bit better low end torque before I purchase my supercharger kit, plus I have lifter noise and it’s kinda irritating. So I was wondering if I had to modify my engine at all before installing larger cams and if i should even do it?

It's pretty hard to select a cam before you have a full build plan. I would contact Russ P @ Bishop-Buehl.

I did a rebuild not too long ago on my '01 and used a pretty good cam that was recommended to me. I'll see if i can find the spec sheet for it. It was a really good choice, I have been very happy with it as it made a good noticeable improvement over the stock cam. Not sure if it will work for you with a supercharger, as i simply went with an overbore rebuild and used much higher quality parts, but otherwise stock specs. Give me a day or two.

Back