• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix coolant

Gunter

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i replaced my old OEM rad and replaced my water pump . wanted to share some data here for it. before ---
normal temp was 220 ish at idle.

at a long light it would move to 234 F

currently

running water and it idles at 195 F
35 mph 198 F
65 mph 203
in the Denver area.

this is early evening warm just past sundown.
88 Cherokee 4.0 275K miles aw4
trans cooling removed from radiator.

also the temp goes up and down as the Jeep stops and starts etc, low of 183 high 206 so far. comes down and settles as i described above fairly quick.:cheers:

It is well known that water cools better than antifreeze. Obviously being in Denver I would not recommend it. I run more like a 70/30 water to antifreeze mix since I’m in SoCal.

yes same stat. now today it goes to 235 and i cant get it working .grrrrr
drained the water and added 50/50 coolant/water and still running 235 F.
air pocket or stuck t stat. what a pain in the butt

If you decide to replace the thermostat check the old and new ones in water on the stove in a pot. I just had a similar problem running at 4,500 and just replaced the thermostat and made sure to get all the air out of the coolant by idling the jeep in the garage for an hour or so just because I didn't want to do it again. Make sure you get everything sealed up good too.
I was getting close to overheating on the highway and in traffic it was cooling off. I haven't driven it too much since except a bit today and the temps seemed to be stable in different conditions. I know....not much help. It just might be an air pocket and coolant is cheap enough it's worth buying more than you need.

220-240F YIKES!

Back