• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Gear Box

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ , lifted, 33 inch tires, that has a worn steering gear box, output shaft wobble. The existing gear box is a large piston AGR box, at least 15 years old.

I would like to know what options make sense

1. Rebuild my existing gear box, which is the oversized piston type with a billet top cover.
a. Where can one obtain rebuild parts, I assume at minimum I would need a new output shaft bearing, and seal set?

2. Buy replacement
a. stock replacement, new or used, or rebuilt
b. oversized piston type, Dodge Durango, PSC, other?

What are recommendations, pros and cons of each.

PSC new build gear box is a nice option, but pricey.

Please advise!

Thank you

Call AGR and ask about a rebuild. Probably pretty reasonable.

rebuild and have it ported for assist

I will say that my PSC box was definitely worth it.

PSC box and 4.5" pulley provides one finger turning effort in 4Low, locked with 33's.

I dealt with multiple reman boxes which performed worse than my tired factory box. In doing so, I discovered that all boxed from NAPA, OReailly, AutoZone, etc are sourced from the same reman outfit in Mexico and they just slap a different label on the box. QC is marginal at best and it's a crap shoot on getting one that actually works well.

The stock box was designed to turn 235/75/15's. One cannot expect a stock box to provide the same level of performance when you add tires which are 4-7 sizes larger, double the weight and rolling resistance/ground pressure.

Last edited:
PSC box and 4.5" pulley provides one finger turning effort in 4Low, locked with 33's.

During the first five years owning of the 2001 XJ, I tried four different rebuilt boxes before finally giving up and ordering a new PSC big-bore box and matching pump.
What a huge difference! The steering is tight, light and powerful..and still is after a lot of miles. It was worth every penny. A cooler was added and I have never experienced any overheating or fade.
My stock, 1997 XJ feels sluggish and heavy in comparison, the same as the 2001 did, when it was stock.

During the first five years owning of the 2001 XJ, I tried four different rebuilt boxes before finally giving up and ordering a new PSC big-bore box and matching pump.
What a huge difference! The steering is tight, light and powerful..and still is after a lot of miles. It was worth every penny. A cooler was added and I have never experienced any overheating or fade.
My stock, 1997 XJ feels sluggish and heavy in comparison, the same as the 2001 did, when it was stock.

Agreed, I just picked up an 99 Sport for my son and the steering is heavy and sluggish, compared to my PSC setup.

will the PSC big bore box work with their version of the "Stock" pump? I'd like to replace my steering box with a new unit, and i just put their steering pump 1205 on.

See message #6, it works great. PSC all the way.

Picked up a 99 Dodge Durango box at wrecker yesterday. I will let you know how it works.

As for suggestion for AGR. No way. My experience with them is horrible, very poorly built rebuilds, and warrentee is useless becuase they dont reply for weeks at a time, and paying for shipping and the time to remove and install is not worth it. Three pumps from them are junk, best one lasted just 2 miles. and there gear box was the wrong part number, was not even made to the correct specification for the part number stamped on it. The billed my credit card for more than the invoice amount. Beat up used parts are installed by them. The owner is a clown to deal with, if he ever bothers to get back to you. They sold me high priced junk, and refused to take it back. never again AGR, the new owner, Josh is worthless, bait and switch, unsafe parts, worthless.

So how did it work? You never let us know.

Hi...

The pick and pull Durango gear box is working great, no problems. Have an autozone stock pump,
Been running for over 1.5 years, many good trips, rock crawling, etc...

I have an inline steering fluid filter installed and have a small fluid cooler for it too.

I do recommend this gear box, nice effortless steering, holds up well, even with large tires pushing rocks.

I did the swap. Fluid is nasty brown and that’s after I cycled it a bunch of times before installing.
Did you just cut the hose on the return line and install a filter? I just saw some for $20

I bought one from Oreilly auto and put it on the return line. Unsure what micron it is rated to. Ran 1 gallon of fluid through my new to me box and kept draining the reservoir. Crazy how brown the fluid in the box was, but I shouldn’t be shocked with how brown it looked when I drained it at Pick N Pull checking the number of turns.

Steering feels more like a rack and pinion (Toyota) to me. No more slop. Not as ‘floaty’ like the GMs I’ve driven. Just feels tighter. Also my steering wheel is now centered. Before it was full of play and I don’t think it was just because the box was loose. This just FEELS like I’m turning a bigger cylinder that needs more pressure to turn the wheels, but it doesnt take more effort. I was expecting it to feel super easy and floaty like a GM.

Not to thread jack, but I think the question is appropriate here. The ‘99 Durango box is the ideal one for a swap, correct? So, would the ‘99 4x4 snow plow package be the best? I’d imagine the steering box is the beefiest?

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/advantages-of-the-durango-steering-box.767986/

see above link, read the threads. The snow plow has a different ratio, which means you cant turn as sharp, so the NON snow plow is prefered by jeepers, and it is the most common of the two to get at a wrecker. That is what I looked for and got, Non snowplow.

I did read someplace on the web what the turn lock to lock is, but I dont have that data handy now.

At anyrate thats what folks want for the Jeeps, NON snow plow. The snow plow type not only has the wrong turn ratio, but has ports that can be used by Jeepers for installing a hydraulic winch, but the stock steering pump is not really big enough for that. go with an electric winch, and maintain a small turning radius as possible.

Back