• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping aw4

1slowxj

NAXJA Forum User
ive got a 88 xj with a 94 trans behind it the input shaft pushing is shot and is pouring out transmission fluid like crazy cant keep front pump seals in the thing ive got a few different options i can pick up a 97 trans with transfer case and convertor cheap i can also pick up a 99 with driveshafts and sye installed for same price so i would like too go that route reading into it seems that i would have to try to adapt output speed sensor? now i dont really care about speedometer seems how it was cable driven and doesnt work anyways but not sure if this is the one the trans control module uses to determine shift points and such and thats a little more important to me.. seems 97 swap would be cake not really sure what route to go and if there was simple way to make swap happen? any ideas?

The 97 trans would work, the 99 would not.

The wiring on the 97 is not the same, you'd have to cut the plug off and wire teh plug from your existing bad trans onto the 97 trans. The colors IIRC are all the same, so it should be pretty easy.

Back