• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Wheels for XJ?

Engine One Eight

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 two door with a Rough Country 2.5" lift. Just bought the jeep, my second XJ, and the tires are junk on stock steel wheels. I'd like to buy take offs and there seems to be a lot of Rubicon wheels in my area with prices ranging from 300 for a nice set of five rims to 1000 for a set of five with low milage BFG Mud Terrains. What say ye experts?

I am fairly certain that a friend of mine who was running TJ Rubicon wheels on his XJ had to use 1.25" or 1.5" wheel spacers for 12.50" wide tires.

If you are planning to fit 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 tires, adaptor spacers that go from 5 on 4.5" to 5 on 5" will work with JK Rubicon wheels if the backspacing is similar to the TJ Rubicon wheels. You will also have to factor in the additional cost of the spacers.

I think if the wheels are 16" they are TJ wheels and will bolt on without adapters.

If the wheels are 17" (much more likely) they are JK wheels and will have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern and thus require adapters.

Running adapters will also net you spacers.

The 16" TJ wheels are not nearly so common and tend to command a premium price anymore. The 17" JK wheels are all over the place as everyone seems to need something fancy. You should have plenty of leverage to try to negotiate the price down. And if one seller won't move on price you can just move on to the next seller.

TJ Rubicon wheels will fit without any spacers/adapters but usually come at a premium price. I bought a set of 5 for just over $500.
P1080569_zpsdib4k3dm.jpg

I've been running JK and now JL Rubicon take offs for 5 years now. They are the best bang for the buck in terms of wheel and tires out there.

You do have to use adapters to go from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5. I'm running G2 adapters from 4 Wheel Parts. No issues. Don't go cheap on spacers and follow the install instructions and torque specs.

Back