• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard to find rattle

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a metallic rattle coming from somewhere near the driver side wheel or nearby that only occurs on quick sharp bumps. Driving a dirt road that's in bad shape really brings it out but a speed bump won't.

Here's the interesting part: If I apply the brakes, even the slightest bit, it stops. I've been under there with a rubber mallet and can't find anything. What else should I be checking?

Dust shield for the brakes maybe?

Check your upper and lower shock bushings. If the bushing has failed you will get metal to metal contact.

Did your brand new shocks have OEM style studs on the top mount? If so, did you use the large diameter Jeep original rubber bushings and cup washers or the often smaller after-market replacement bushings?

I have had small shock bushings work their way through the hole in the inner fender before. This was within a few weeks of fitting new replacements. It made a noise but not really a rattle sound, more of a metallic clink every time the shock moved up and down.

Did your brand new shocks have OEM style studs on the top mount? If so, did you use the large diameter Jeep original rubber bushings and cup washers or the often smaller after-market replacement bushings?

I have had small shock bushings work their way through the hole in the inner fender before. This was within a few weeks of fitting new replacements. It made a noise but not really a rattle sound, more of a metallic clink every time the shock moved up and down.

Bilstein 4600s, with big honking bushings and cup washers. I also directly inspected them, they're fine.

Back