• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint Boots

I would think that if you could find some boots, you would still have to take the tie rod end off to put them on. If you go that far, might as well change the whole thing......because...

If your boots are bad, you probably have some type of trash already inside it. Just count the turns getting the old one off (I would probably do a measurement some where) and put them on with the same amount of turns.

My apology for misreading your question but I am afraid the answer is basically the same.

If your ball joint boot is bad, the only way to replace one would be to remove the ball joint anyway. So, you might as well change the whole thing. (don't know where you would find just the boot).

When the boot goes bad/gets torn, as it is open to allowing the grease to escape, it is also open to allow trash to get in which is also bad in the long run. Get you a "ball joint removal kit" to make things easier. I know I will...

If your ball joint boot has failed, it is best to change the ball joint, preferably both of them on that knuckle.

TRE boots can split when they get pinched during suspension articulation. I usually test my TREs for free play before deciding to just replace the boot. If the TRE is worn because of the boot failure, replace the TRE.

Back