• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9 disc brake conversion

If you are planning to buy a kit, it probably won't fit in your definition of "economical". However, some Lincoln 9" came with factory discs, maybe you can work up something from a boneyard.

An alternative is to simply buy the mounting brackets from a company like TSM, which will run you about $100, and then you can source the rotors and calipers yourself. I think it makes sense to start out with new rotors, but you could definitely find your own calipers out there.

Do a Google search - I can't imagine you are the first to ask this question.

Nay

I have a 9" in my MJ and here is the setup I'm doing this winter:

80'ish CJ rotors
80'ish Camaro front calipers
Weld-on caliper brackets from A&A manufacturing in Springlake MI
Have axle shaft hats turned down so that rotors will slide on
Run longer studs to hold it all together

Or you can run the rotors behind the pressed on bearing, either way it works

I'll try to find the website if ya want, let me know, judd

oh yeah, looks like it can all be done for about $200 or so :skull2:

Early '70ish Lincoln Continentals had 9" rears with disc brakes. That's whats on the EB 9" I just picked up. The rotors had to be drilled for 5on5.5" and currie sent a spacer (for their axle which is also on it) to center the rotor on the axle, since there is no hub (or spindle or whatever!) on the rear to center it. I don't know if they can make them for other axles, but Its probably pretty simple to machine.

I'm putting discs on m 9". e-brake was the decidind factor. Couldn't find any Lincoln rear discs to scavenge, and I've heard caddy e-brakes suck, so I'm going with Isuzu Trooper calipers, with Samurai front rotors. Dropped the shafts off to get the flange turned down to fit. Once they're back I'll get started on cutting some brackets.

Rear disc brakes on my 9":

-Caliper brackets ($20 eBay)
-Large GM Calipers with parking brake lever ($60 eBay)
-Chevy Front 4WD rotors ($50 Pep Boys)

disc brake conversion

What mods if any need done to the rotors

any particular year to look for on the calipers and rotors??

Thanks

BigTP2 said:

I believe the rotors are from the front of an '80-84 Chevy 4X4 3/4 ton. They are 6 lug, however I redrilled them for my 5 on 5.5 pattern.

The calipers are the large GM Cadillac calipers from an '76-78 El Dorado, Riviera or Toranado. Look for the large Piston Diameter of 2 and 13/32".

Or, you can go with the smaller calipers from a '79-85 El Dorado, Riviera, Toronado, or '80-85 Seville with a Piston Diameter of 2 and 1/32".

I did my conversion for about a 100 bucks. Ford Explorer 8.8 disc brakes bolt right on. The only thing you have to do is have the rotors redrilled for 5 on 5 and a half.

brake lines

Thanks for the input, I am running with the GM calipers..what did you do for brake lines and fittings. will the normal brake line fittings work?

Thanks again

QUOTE=BigTP2]Rear disc brakes on my 9":

-Chevy Front 4WD rotors ($50 Pep Boys)[/QUOTE]

I used hard brake lines from NAPA. I ran them to the junction on the axle, then to each side. You can also run the hard lines then add fittings for flexible lines to each caliper (easier for maintence)

atowley said:
I did my conversion for about a 100 bucks. Ford Explorer 8.8 disc brakes bolt right on. The only thing you have to do is have the rotors redrilled for 5 on 5 and a half.

where would you get the rotors redrilled??

machine shop

BigTP2 said:

You don't by chance have any auction links for that stuff, do you?

Thanks,
Brian

Back