• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust acts like it’s plugged, but fine on restart

Grawl

NAXJA Forum User
Going nuts with this issue on my daughters 2000 XJ. In the last 5000 miles, new O2 sensors, new injectors, and new plugs. Jeep has an issue where it almost acts like the exhaust is plugged. Starts fine, but drive it a few blocks and it starts losing power to the point you have to pull over and it will hardly idle. Shut it off and restart it and it’s fine. Start driving and it’s the same issue. No CEL. Just installed a new CAT, TPS, checked fuel pressure which is at about 45, but no luck. Any ideas?

Links to hear what it’s doing in video below

https://youtu.be/iLA0Jb1NvY0

https://youtu.be/_qaeH5wxdaE

I think the CPS and Idle Air Control Valve can cause symptoms very similar so look at both. Maybe clean Throttle Body as well.

I'd also put it on a scanner even though your CEL isn't on, just to see.

Bosch or NTK O2 sensors ?

Genuine Jeep TPS or crappy Chinese clone TPS ?

Tested the CPS ?

I think the CPS and Idle Air Control Valve can cause symptoms very similar so look at both. Maybe clean Throttle Body as well.

I'd also put it on a scanner even though your CEL isn't on, just to see.
Will check the IAC. Already cleaned the TB, but forgot to mention. Thank you.

Bosch or NTK O2 sensors ? Can’t remember....they were eBay, so probably crappy ones.

Chines clone. Hoped it would be ok, but I’ll test the new one. Thank you

Tested the CPS ?

How many cats do you have ? some 2000 had 3 cats and some only had 1 cat . and why did you change the cat ? Was the cat broken inside ? because pieces could be in the muffler plugging the exhaust at time's turning off the engine would let the piece move and let the exhaust flow again . good luck

How many cats do you have ? some 2000 had 3 cats and some only had 1 cat . and why did you change the cat ? Was the cat broken inside ? because pieces could be in the muffler plugging the exhaust at time's turning off the engine would let the piece move and let the exhaust flow again . good luck

Sounds like tech might be on to something. You could unbolt the exhaust a little and take it for a short drive

It does have the 3 cats. I did the lower just as a “throw a part at it” as it feels like other vehicles I’ve had that had a plugged cat. It looked fine though, and the tops test out fine with the heat gun/vacuum test. I still might drop the exhaust as Tech recommended just to see if that helps. Seems old though that the issue resets after starting the vehicle. I thought a plugged cat creates starting issues and poor performance always, and that a restart wouldn’t change anything?

How to test for a bad catalytic converter:
-Hook up a vacuum gauge or scan tool that can monitor vacuum
-idle the engine
-Quickly snap the throttle open and closed.
-If vacuum immediately returns to its original value, the cat is good
-If vacuum stays low (close to zero) for a while then slowly creeps back up, the exhaust has a restriction

Now you can drop the exhaust a little and take a quick drive to confirm it.

Bosch or NTK O2 sensors ?

Tested the CPS ?

Chines clone. Hoped it would be ok, but I’ll test the new one......

That the symptoms seem to occur as the PCM switches from open loop to closed loop is suspicious. Having the symptoms "cured" with a simple re-start sort of reinforces the suspicions.

The Jeep 4.0L does not play well with Bosch or no-name O2 sensors, you really do need to use NTK O2's and genuine Jeep OBD engine sensors. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

The symptoms don't really suggest a faulty cat.

Back