• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STROKER STARTED!!! Header gets red hot?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

Is this OK? I started my Stroker a few minutes ago, and the pacesetter headers almost instantly got red hot, paint started flaking off (which I heard was normal) but red hot?

Please lemme know.

Thanks!

Todd

my borla ss header went a dull red while breaking in the rings on my stroker on Friday. (20 min at 2k rpm) The mechanics weren't worried about it in the least.

Matthew

comancheon33 said:
I would get concerned it will do that. Should stop after break in.

Well lets frikkin hope so, it's kinda freaky knowing something is that hot. Melted the loom off the O2 Sensor =)

what is the timeing?

might want to look into that...

I have rebuilt and broken in 3 Jeep I-6 motors and every single one of them with a header has done this. The exhaust runs red hot during the cam break in. I have not had any issues with them from the red hot header. Just gotta watch the temp gauge and make sure the motor doesnt overheat. If it looks like its going to get too hot, spray the radiator with a garden hose and it will help keep everything running where it should.

AARON

Nope definitly a bad sign :D If you would like I'll trade you my non headered 88 Renix non stroked pristine condition 4.0 for a small fee :D

NHxj4x4 said:
Guys,

Is this OK? I started my Stroker a few minutes ago, and the pacesetter headers almost instantly got red hot, paint started flaking off (which I heard was normal) but red hot?

Please lemme know.

Thanks!

Todd

Back