• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lazy people at work (rant)

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
So, I just wanted to vent a little.

I work for UPS and this time of year it is always busy and always long hours. There is some really simple work that is left over at the end of the day for those who want over time. Basically, all the small packages and envelopes come packed in re-usable bags, during the shift the bags just pile up by the thousands. At the end people are needed to strip bar code stickers off the bags, fold and bundle the bags and then toss them into a semi trailer which is cake work for anyone.

Well, the lazy people fell they first have the right to stand and talk and literally not work at all. Then, when they do work they feel they have the right to do the easiest parts of the above simple task which is peel labels. Several friends and myself started staying to get some hours and we see them not throwing their bags into the trailer and we ignore it doing our own thing. Next thing you know they are telling us to go throw their bags... UPS is a seniority based company, the people telling me what to do have maybe 1-2 years of seniority and I am coming up on 7, not to mention they are not my boss and can't tell me anything. My friends and I feel you should throw the bags that you peel and bundle, no sense in breaking up the tasks but if they want to break it up then fine, we want to pull seniority and do the easy job ha, of course they then don't like that idea.

Today, we go over start tearing through the bags like usual while they stand around and manage to get a few bags ready to throw and when they see we are not throwing Their bags, they just up and leave as a big group leaving just 4 of us. We are fine with that, more work and hours for us, we worked 14 1/2 hours total but got every last bag done and made some good money doing it ;) . Having them their we wouldn't have got done much sooner and would allowed them to make big over time for standing around so I am happy they pouted and walked out.

I just hate lazy people, I am not their boss I am not going to tell them what to do but it just irks me when someone expects to be paid while someone else does their work for them.

/rant

I work construction... luckily we often get to skip the politics part of dealing with co-workers... but whenever i find myself in a similar situation, i try to embarass them... i find it to work about 75% of the time... Yeah sure, i'll offload all this glass by myself... but ima call you a pussy for weeks! and most importantly, THEY will know it...

I see your problem as one of the biggest problems of working for giant companies... i know my boss personally, and know he's happy with me, and i can talk to him man to man, and we can work stuff out... in giant corporations.... i doubt this can happen.

I work my ass off there and don't care for any lazy guys. I get more hours and get in better shape.

The other day they asked if i wanted to triple shift and i wanted to, but the upper supervisor said he couldn't authorize it

Talk to your shop steward. You guys are still Teamsters right?

We don't have a dedicated steward on site, our stewards are also employees and being peak season they are all over worked and busy too. I will see how it goes monday, if they see me and get all butt hurt and leave again then mission accomplished I guess. For a while the guys I work with were just doing the lazy peoples work, I think I have shown them that they don't have to and shouldn't.

It sucks, I am there to work certainly but I am also not a charity for the lazy ha.

I could write a damn novel about lazy coworkers and I work in a non-union shop.

The lead-man walked in the other day and caught one of them sleeping and did nothing about it. This same guy does this all the time and still gets better raises than most of us. Not to mention his quality of work sucks and he has a crappy attitude.

We don't have a dedicated steward on site, our stewards are also employees and being peak season they are all over worked and busy too. I will see how it goes monday, if they see me and get all butt hurt and leave again then mission accomplished I guess. For a while the guys I work with were just doing the lazy peoples work, I think I have shown them that they don't have to and shouldn't.

It sucks, I am there to work certainly but I am also not a charity for the lazy ha.

It shouldn't matter if your shop steward is busy or not, if its union business they have a reason to be doing something else. My union pretty much lays down for the company but even they let the union stewards stop what they are doing for union business. I agree on the lazy people. The guy running my machine on second likes to wonder around and hit on women rather than mop the mess up he makes at the end of his shift.

Oh man I hate lazy people. Before I went back to school I was an electronic/electrical technician for Peterbilt. Our shop foreman's day consisted of sitting in his car chain smoking while talking on his cell phone. Then when we needed him we we couldn't find him anywhere. He knew his stuff but was a lazy ass, I would have never put him that leadership position if I was running that shop.

Oh man I hate lazy people. Before I went back to school I was an electronic/electrical technician for Peterbilt. Our shop foreman's day consisted of sitting in his car chain smoking while talking on his cell phone. Then when we needed him we we couldn't find him anywhere. He knew his stuff but was a lazy ass, I would have never put him that leadership position if I was running that shop.

Really? Did you ever think of looking for him in his car? :roflmao:

True lazy people are like david copperfield, they can dissapear on command. When they arrive on new job sites (or other "work' enviroments) one of the first things they do is scope out new spots to escape to....

Go to work.

Do your work, and do it well.

Go home.

Work doesn't get done? There is always tomorrow.

In every shop, or business, there is someone who won't follow those basic tenants. They believe they are being outstanding individuals by working long hours and trying to do too many things at a time.. You can spot them a mile away. If everyone else has 41 hours, they have 50. They do the work of two people, but not well. This is the reason companies find they can run on less people even though they can afford the help and increased quality of workmanship.

As for the lazy people in iwannadie's post. Why should they bother cleaning up those bags when you do their work for them? Infact, you brag how much OT you make on them. Seems to me you believe they are doing you a favor, so why complain so loudly?

You want to get something done about it? Start at the local top dog by bringing up the issue. If that doesnt work, then like my dad always said, "start at the top and work your way down" Give your manager the chance to fix it, and if not, shed some sunlight on the situation. Of course i've never worked in a union environment so i dont know the inner workings of one. But if it being union stops you from being able to file a formal complaint and something positive happens from it, then i dont think i'd want to join a union like that. Just like any company, as management goes, so do the employees.

As for the lazy people in iwannadie's post. Why should they bother cleaning up those bags when you do their work for them? Infact, you brag how much OT you make on them. Seems to me you believe they are doing you a favor, so why complain so loudly?

They only recently stopped staying to stand around not working, only when I got vocal directly to them and told them I am not doing their "hard" work did they pack up and leave. Other people have been doing their work while they stood around socializing for a while. Now that they are leaving I am happy with that because I am getting the work and hours and they get off the clock.

Go to work.
Do your work, and do it well.
Go home.
Up to this point, I'm in complete agreement with you...
Work doesn't get done? There is always tomorrow.
Unless you are so specialized that you cannot be replaced, there may not always be a tomorrow for you
In every shop, or business, there is someone who won't follow those basic tenants. They believe they are being outstanding individuals by working long hours and trying to do too many things at a time.. You can spot them a mile away. If everyone else has 41 hours, they have 50. They do the work of two people, but not well. This is the reason companies find they can run on less people even though they can afford the help and increased quality of workmanship.
Working additional hours being "gung-ho" and producing quality results are not mutually exclusive. One can put in the 10 additional hours with just as much attention to detail as others and produce equal or higher returns than the other.
As for the lazy people in iwannadie's post. Why should they bother cleaning up those bags when you do their work for them?
Because they are getting paid to be there.
Infact, you brag how much OT you make on them. Seems to me you believe they are doing you a favor, so why complain so loudly?
In the real world, the business owes you nothing. It's financial strength is what allows it to risk it's capitol on offering you a raise. If you don't complain loudly when you see waste, you risk there not being enough capitol left to compensate you adequately for the life you wish to live.

Back