• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving Renix coil. Possible???

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I saw a post a while back about someone moving their Renix coil. I want to do this because I've converted to the open cooling system and the HO coolant bottle has just been floating around for about a year now by my blower motor, the one time I went offroading it dumped itself over. I want to anchor it down, and I don't want one of those aftermarket universal fit bottles. Has anyone done this or does anyone have a suggestion of how it could be done/what could be done about the plug wire running to it. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Collin

Take a look at an OBD type mount, post Renix, the coil often mounts on the block. You'll likely have to extend the wires, if you do, solder them, don't trust squeeze/crimp connectors.

The coil pack can be mounted anywhere you can get a good ground.

You can simplify things by getting Delphi Weatherpack connectors that will mate up (one set of 2-cavity and one set of 3-cavity, male and female of each) and making extension harnesses, y'ask me. I do prefer clean crimp connections underhood (I've seen more than a few solders "go cold" over the years...) and that would result in your not having to modify your OEM wiring, and therefore allow you to reverse the mod, if you should care to do so later.

5-90

I am going to mount mine in my 85 (completley different situation) on the fire wall. Now it is mounts on a plate under the air pump distribution thing. The plate sits right on the freakin pass exhaust manifold. And either the bolts had rusted or they riveted the stupid thing in there. Get an accel super coil while you are at it. I would mount it on the fire wall around the spot where the old overflow tank was on the passenger side :)

Last edited:
If your 1985 has a 2.8L V6 (per your sig,) you don't have a RENIX rig.

RENIX is the control system used on XJs & MJs from 1984 to 1990 with the AMC150I4, and 1987 to 1990 with the AMC242I6.

The GM173V6 used GM controls, which were OBD-I compliant.

Not trying to shoot you down - just pointing out that you have a different setup, with different headaches...

5-90

5-90 said:
The coil pack can be mounted anywhere you can get a good ground.

You can simplify things by getting Delphi Weatherpack connectors that will mate up (one set of 2-cavity and one set of 3-cavity, male and female of each) and making extension harnesses, y'ask me. I do prefer clean crimp connections underhood (I've seen more than a few solders "go cold" over the years...) and that would result in your not having to modify your OEM wiring, and therefore allow you to reverse the mod, if you should care to do so later.

5-90
Cool, so does it matter how long the ignition wire is going to it? I assume I would have to custom make one since that obviously doesn't come in the set. Do they lose current or anything the longer they get?

A little, but it's comparable to long-distance power transmission lines. The reason that main power distribution uses such a high voltage is simple - it actually reduces current loss.

Since our high-energy ignition uses supply voltage up around the 45kV range, it should not pose a problem unless you do something silly - like put the ignition coil out on the rear bumper, or somesuch. Moving it to the firewall and making an ignition lead twice as long, say, should not pose much of a problem.

5-90

It's pften a good idea to stay as close to stock length as possible. The major added resisitance is usually in the connector, not the couple of feet of extra wire.
It used to be gospel, that the harness had to be stock (near stock resistnace) to work properly. But that has been disproved on many occasions.
Any connector that is totally waterproof will likely work well. The rpoblems usually occur, when the connector oxidizes.
I solder, then shrink tube, then seal the ends of the shrink tube with super glue. Air tight, water tight, no oxidation. Lasts forever.

Sweet fellas. Thank you all for the help.

If your 1985 has a 2.8L V6 (per your sig,) you don't have a RENIX rig.

RENIX is the control system used on XJs & MJs from 1984 to 1990 with the AMC150I4, and 1987 to 1990 with the AMC242I6.

The GM173V6 used GM controls, which were OBD-I compliant.

Not trying to shoot you down - just pointing out that you have a different setup, with different headaches...

I am going to mount mine in my 85 (completley different situation) on the fire wall.
I know it is different but it is still a coil and it has just about the same connectors on it.

Oh and if my 85 is OBD1 does it have a computer hook up to read codes? And I havent seen a hook up and I havent seen an ECM?

I'd think it should be. I had a 1985 Cavalier with the same engine and control setup, and I found the OBD-I connector (GM called it the ALDL) right around my left knee under the instrument panel.

You'll actually end up using tricks to read the GM control system, since AMC didn't change the system when they used it.

5-90

Back