• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator recommendation?

jccinohio

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 Country with the max cooling radiator (52028133) and separate transmission oil cooler. The 52028133 cross references to 5191929AA, and it seems those are sold out and not made any more.

I am NOT having any cooling issues.. just the old one is getting pretty corroded, so prob won't last too much longer before it starts leaking. I also only use the Jeep for road use..

Crown has one they say is max cooling that cross references to 52028133.

Spectra Premium doesn't specify max cooling, so wondering if it's just for the standard, non max cooling, radiator?

What's a decent direct swap around $200?

Thanks!

The spectra core is 1.25 inches. They do not sell a "HD" cooling replacement unit like the thicker cored late model HD cooling radiators. I had the OEM Mopar HD rad on my last XJ and IIRC the core was 1.5 inches thick vs the standard 1.25 inches. I'd have to do some more research to verify.

The standard Spectra replacement is a decent radiator. IMO it's a better choice than a multi-core aluminum radiator.

Wait, are you saying a plastic tanked radiator will cool better than an all aluminum one?

nope, im saying OEM designed accordingly and it does make a difference.

Generally at lower speed is where the plastic tank makes a difference cooling. I cant speak to aluminum.

Plastic will insulate better, aluminum (crazy money btw) will be more susceptible to the radiating heat of the engine. If I had to guess, aluminum would really matter on the vehicle application(proximity to heat source thats not cooled/engine), or where you choose to mount the rad.

in my mind ide think an aluminum rad on say a tj is a better idea than under the hood on an xj, agian just spitballing assumption.

o.p. theres a flip side to this coin however. Your radiator was intended to transfer heat into the trans as well. If any aluminum rad cools better, you really need to be sure cooling is the most important function you want. The factory radiator runs trans fluid through it to get the trans up to operating temp quicker.

Thanks all.. Decided to go with the Spectra.. have a new t-stat and rad cap coming as well.. Will look at the hoses and change as needed.

Almost got the Koyorad A1193...

I was just wondering if I should of went a different way. I bought the all aluminum vr racing radiator off Amazon for the extra capacity because I spend so much time a idle and low speeds. It seems to be doing okay but we aren't in the heat yet. The aluminum tanks are exposed on the front side so I figured it was extra cooling area over the plastic tanked ones.

Mopar's HD 1-1/2", dual-core radiator, 52080104AC has worked well for me in both of my XJs and my brothers for many years.

Spectra premium CU1193 dropped right in to replace Mopar 52028133. Only thing I changed was the tabs that hold the radiator to the AC condenser coil. Stock ones had a curve or dip to them, spectra ones were straight across. Needed the dip so the mount would sit low enough on the bolt to get the nut on. See how she holds up.

Saw on a few reviews some people were concerned that the lower hose looked blocked by the tranny cooler/heater section.. if you look at the OEM one it's pretty blocked too..

Plastic will insulate better, aluminum (crazy money btw) will be more susceptible to the radiating heat of the engine. If I had to guess, aluminum would really matter on the vehicle application(proximity to heat source thats not cooled/engine), or where you choose to mount the rad.

OMG that's funny! The plastic tanks insulate better? Seriously? The radiator literally has one job and that is to radiate heat away from the coolant inside. The plastic tank radiators first appeared in the 80s as a way for auto manufacturers to cut costs, not because they cooled better.

There is the MOPAR Extreme Radiator :
Mopar Genuine 52080104AC Radiator
Its made for the Middle East. I might go that route on my next build. I am using the CFS 3-row brass radiator presently.

There is the MOPAR Extreme Radiator :
Mopar Genuine 52080104AC Radiator
Its made for the Middle East. I might go that route on my next build. I am using the CFS 3-row brass radiator presently.

And that's the most complained about radiator.

OMG that's funny! The plastic tanks insulate better? Seriously? The radiator literally has one job and that is to radiate heat away from the coolant inside. The plastic tank radiators first appeared in the 80s as a way for auto manufacturers to cut costs, not because they cooled better.

So your saying plastic is not a better insulator than aluminum, because they switched them to plastic in the 80s? Tehehee
And No,your rads not limited to cooling, I've already said why.

You don't want insulation when trying to cool hot liquid. Plastic tanks are 100% to save production money.

No dispute to cost of plastic rads here,
I'm not suggesting plastic for cooling. I did suggest plastic to help get the trans up to operating temp quicker. Plastic is a better insulator than aluminum, it is not ideal for optimal cooling. Like I told the O.p, theres more worth considering if optimal cooling wasnt the only objective. As I've stated "spit balling assumptions".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclewolverine View Post
Wait, are you saying a plastic tanked radiator will cool better than an all aluminum one?
nope, im saying OEM designed accordingly and it does make a difference.......

:rtm:
I know O.p got spectra but
On a side note I've run the csf,not a bad rad either. I noticed it ran warmer, liked the construction of it though.

You don't want insulation when trying to cool hot liquid. Plastic tanks are 100% to save production money.

Actually, any multi-material radiator is probably more expensive to produce. The advantage to plastic reservoirs is that the connections are less brittle and less likely to fail. Many plastics are far less likely to rip when being twisted and yanked when attaching and detaching hoses etc. Plastics are all over the place in terms of material behavior and not necessarily evil.

When I look at a radiator I expect the fins to be getting rid of heat and the rest of the rad to be tough in terms of mounting and maintenance.

In our 85 degree temps we've had the past few days seems like the Jeep is running about 15 degrees warmer than usual with the Spectra vs OEM. I did also change the thermostat. Swapped 195 for 195, the 'old' one was only a few years old.

Back