• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Basic stuff for n00bs who want to participate

souske

NAXJA Forum User
You will need to bring:
1. A jeep
2. water and snacks
3. a good attitude

Watch in this subforum for a workday being posted up. If you can make it, post up in the thread and say so. Then show up at the arranged meeting place at the proper date and time. Follow the instructions of the trail leader/ AAT liason.

Have fun!

What if I can't bring a jeep? Do i have to sit at the last intersection and just watch?

No a jeep is not required, but you should post up in thee workday thread and ask if someone has an extra seat for you on the trail.

If you have a vehicle that is capable other than your jeep is this frowned upon. I would rather bring my ranger since i could put trash in it rather than the back of my xj. Either way it wouldnt matter to me. And by basic stuff i meant what is the purpose for the AAT program? Why is our club out pickimg up trash? Wheres the sticky for that?

Why is our club picking up trash?! Um, because it's there. Because it's the right thing to do. Because we'd do it even if we didn't have the trail adopted.

I can honestly say I've never had anybody ask me *why* I do AAT work.

And by basic stuff i meant what is the purpose for the AAT program? Why is our club out pickimg up trash? Wheres the sticky for that?

The forest service doesn't have the time or money to clean up after all of the irresponsible wheelers out there - so if we intend to keep wheeling, those of us who *are* responsible have to pick up the slack. The AAT program is a formalized way to help them with that. We take responsibility for a road. We clean up the trash, cut back the brush, and report anything beyond our safe and reasonable capacity for the forest service to send in a professional.

Without the AAT program, you wouldn't have trails like Holcomb Creek or John Bull. They would focus their limited resources on routes with the most public impact or safety considerations (fire truck access) and would be unable to deal with recreational paths.

So if we aren't there picking up trails they would be closed?

see:

The forest service doesn't have the time or money to clean up after all of the irresponsible wheelers out there - so if we intend to keep wheeling, those of us who *are* responsible have to pick up the slack. The AAT program is a formalized way to help them with that. We take responsibility for a road. We clean up the trash, cut back the brush, and report anything beyond our safe and reasonable capacity for the forest service to send in a professional.

Without the AAT program, you wouldn't have trails like Holcomb Creek or John Bull. They would focus their limited resources on routes with the most public impact or safety considerations (fire truck access) and would be unable to deal with recreational paths.

So if we aren't there picking up trails they would be closed?

A large portion of the FS operating budget in regards to OHV recreation comes from monies from the state Green Sticker grant program. The hours volunteered to the AAT program are a major factor in the SBNF receiving a grant every year. So those hours spent working on the roads that "bring the suck" like 2N49 are important to keeping roads like John Bull or Dishpan or Cleghorn open for everyone.

i doubt you'll need screwdrivers and wrenches to do trail maintenance Derek lol.

I would say a GOOD set of leather work gloves that fit your hands properly would be the number one thing to have with you.

What are the most common tools we should bring?

At a minimum work gloves, long sleeved shirt, long pants, sturdy boots/shoes,eye protection, hard hat.

While working under the umbrella of the AAT program we essentially are "employees" of the USFS. That is the reason for the chainsaw certified operators and PPE requirements.

As far as hand tools the most common tools we use are brush loppers, rakes, occaissionaly picks and shovels. If you can bring your own that is great but I usually have tools from the AAT work shed. If you don't have your own PPE the chapter can provide hard hats, gloves and eye protection.

What's the rule on being "on time" for the meeting location?

We usually start off with a tailgate meeting to discuss safety and goals/objectives for the day so it is important to be on time. Also the later we start the hotter it usually is. Plus how long do we hold up the group while waiting for someone?

But if you know you can't make it to the the scheduled start time and you know you'll be showing up late, let the run leader know and you can always meet us on the trail.

We are all volunteers, there's no punishment for being late or having to leave early.

Ok, so because I'm mildly lazy...or because I'm at work and dont feel like reading all the posts...being a newer guy to going offroad (Cal can vouch for me on this) to do OHV trail maint. sounds fun, I'm still bone stock. Would it be a better idea for me to put some BFGoods All terrains on before I go and do this? or can I get away with the street tires and non lift?

Back