• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 and 1990 renix

flynn78us

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference between these 2 engines? I have a local pullaprt with 3 RENIX era jeeps and want to know the transferability. It is 2 XJ's and an MJ if anyone needs anything.

Should be the same.

x2, same.

Only minor differences are possible like if one is manual the other automatic, flywheel versus flex plate on the end of the crank shaft. A/C versus no AC brackets on the front? That is about it.

My first was a mutant, 85, not really a renix, it has a transplanted engine, diesel from a Nissan 82 pick up truck. My next jeep was 4x4, 87, 4.0 Renix, my first renix. I decided to try and find one of the same vintage for my daughter, bought one with a blown engine, but never got around to rebuilding it, so it is a spare body right now, but got a great a deal on running 89, which is the one she drives. Body parts are all interchangeable, and spare parts that I buy here and there will fit all 4 jeeps. Makes repairs easier (Only need to know the querks of one system real well), all the parts fit all the jeeps, except the diesel engine, but it gets 34 mpg.

If you are new to Renix, you might dig up my old thread here and read it, "The RenX Files".

Back