NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 21st, 2018, 19:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: bat shit on the windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3fan View Post
if your flying yourself. pay the extra and take one on the plane.
call the airline. be nice. explain the situation. they will make it happen.
its gotta be the best way if it needs to be replaced.
The airlines aren't the problem. I haven't flown into Brazil but had a good friend in the Dominican Republic I used to go see all the time. He would have me bring some bizarre items at times. Airline no problem, getting it through customs could be, errr, challenging. There were always guys hanging around the baggage claim area to "help with your bags" they also knew who and how much to grease their palms, with a small handling fee for himself, to get things in the country. Once we brought a complete satellite dish, no firect tv but rwal satellite, setup in. Just cost money and knowing the right guy, Americian dollars were always preferred.

Last edited by lawagoneer; January 24th, 2018 at 16:04.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 21:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawagoneer View Post
The airlines aren't the problem. I haven't flown into Brazil but had a good friend in the Dominican Republic I used to go see all the time. He would have me bring some bizarre items at times. Airline no problem, getting it through customs could be, errors, challenging. There were always guys hanging around the baggage claim area to "help with your bags" they also knew who and how much to grease their palms, with a small handling fee for himself, to get things in the country. Once we brought a complete satellite dish, no firect tv but rwal satellite, setup in. Just cost money and knowing the right guy, Americian dollars were always preferred.
darn. well that sucks.
do they not have places that can make glass down there ? I would assume there is a pattern or number to look up ?

Honestly I did wonders with my glass and the stuff I mentioned above.
just if its etched as much as you say then it might be tough is all.

Let me put it this way. My drivers window had lines from the plastic outer seal.
it took about 10 hours total to polish them out with a dremmel.
It sucked.. big time. you have to really put some pressure. but also not enough to break the glass.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:44
NAXJA# 2091

Is there no Jeep/Chrysler Stealership down there to use?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 24th, 2018, 06:44
NAXJA Forum User

First off you have to think out of the box, a Renault dealer can get you the parts. May take some bribes.

Second possibility is the boating crowd, a pretty tight knit society that has ways of getting things done. A marine parts dealer can likely get you the part. Just a guess but you can label the windshield for anything, call it a boat part.

The U.S. consulate, especially if you have a trade or service to swap. These guys are world class scroungers and can ship duty free. Procurement and contracting office or the GSO.

ASP Eberle, German company that ships world wide. It has downsized but likely still have their connections.

I feel your pain, I spent some time in a place called Diego Garcia. Where there is a will there is a way.
Old January 27th, 2018, 15:05
NAXJA# 2091

Indeed, 8Mud is the man!!! So how about Allibaba from Hong Kong, LOL. They did move the XJ production line to China after they stopped making them here. I got an entire fiberglass nose piece from there for $27 in 2008

8Mud, sounds like we are in the wrong business, LOL.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 29th, 2018, 13:56
NAXJA Member #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidBear View Post
They imported a few hundred of them in the 1999-2000 era, but that was it. Mine is a Renix, and as far as I know its the only one in the country.
It probably doesn't solve your problem, but I can't see that there'd be much if any difference in windshield between a 99-2000 and your Renix. Any of those imported ones laying around in a scrapyard?

Otherwise, think 8Mud and the others are on to something with thinking out of the box.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 15:34
NAXJA Forum User

I know that this thread is pretty old now, but I wanted to share the conclusion to this episode.....first trip down, I took some cerium oxide polish, made by 3M. I used a buffer on an electric drill. After working it for hours, and not making progress I took it to a local detailer, and the owner set a guy buffing for about 2 days (not exaggerating)........ Marginal improvement at best.

So............next trip.......... I bought a new windsheild at a autoglass place in California. Built a box, and checked it in with American Airlines. The part I was worried about was getting it through Brazilian customs......... sweating like a drug smuggler I walked right through customer.....didn't get checked!

So after 2 more internal flights, and a 5 hour car ride I got it (in one piece) to the vehicle in question.

If you find yourself with bat streaks on your windsheild, its not worth the effort of trying to buff them out. Mine were deep etchings, and it required a new windshield.

The great part is the jeep now looks awesome! I had it resprayed and it looks like a million bucks.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 15:51
NAXJA Forum User

Old July 23rd, 2020, 17:43
NAXJA# 2091

Awesome.

I might have tried a blow torch to soften the glass like a glass blower. Pretty sure a glass maker could have figured it out???

Congrats on your success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidBear View Post
I know that this thread is pretty old now, but I wanted to share the conclusion to this episode.....first trip down, I took some cerium oxide polish, made by 3M. I used a buffer on an electric drill. After working it for hours, and not making progress I took it to a local detailer, and the owner set a guy buffing for about 2 days (not exaggerating)........ Marginal improvement at best.

So............next trip.......... I bought a new windsheild at a autoglass place in California. Built a box, and checked it in with American Airlines. The part I was worried about was getting it through Brazilian customs......... sweating like a drug smuggler I walked right through customer.....didn't get checked!

So after 2 more internal flights, and a 5 hour car ride I got it (in one piece) to the vehicle in question.

If you find yourself with bat streaks on your windsheild, its not worth the effort of trying to buff them out. Mine were deep etchings, and it required a new windshield.

The great part is the jeep now looks awesome! I had it resprayed and it looks like a million bucks.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 21:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Awesome.

I might have tried a blow torch to soften the glass like a glass blower. Pretty sure a glass maker could have figured it out???

Congrats on your success.
Safety glass has a plastic inner layer, it wont take kindly to the high heat I am pretty sure of that. further the glass if not safety glass will still need to be heated evenly, in its entirety slowly, else it will break. hots spots will expand more than cold spots, and that will crack it. a large slow heating oven will be required. do not put a torch to a windshield!
Old July 25th, 2020, 12:30
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2008 View Post
Worst case scenario is that you replace the windshield. It's under $200 around here, and more than likely the adhesive holding it in place is dried to the point you'll get leaks anyway.
I was gonna say I think I paid $120 last time I did a windshield. Cheap enough to not stress over
Old July 31st, 2020, 10:04
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad View Post
I was gonna say I think I paid $120 last time I did a windshield. Cheap enough to not stress over
Not trying to HiJack the thread, but did you get that here in Houston, Islander?
Old July 31st, 2020, 14:26
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasjr1 View Post
Not trying to HiJack the thread, but did you get that here in Houston, Islander?
Yeah. https://affordableautoglass.com/