NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 18th, 2018, 04:32
NAXJA Forum User

bat shit on the windshield

I have an 89 Cherokee base model 4.0, AW4 that was stored in a barn for 15 years. I've just got it running and am now fixing some of the necessary cosmetic stuff.

Current problem: the barn was home to fruit bats, which pooped all over the windshield. This appears to have etched the glass to the point where visibility is an issue. Has anyone else had this problem, and do you have any fixes? Replacing the windshield, isn't an option....long story, but I can't get a replacement locally.

What I've tried so far:

detergent
fine steel wool
razor blade
silver polish

Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.
Old January 18th, 2018, 04:36
NAXJA Forum User

Re: bat shit on the windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidBear View Post
I have an 89 Cherokee base model 4.0, AW4 that was stored in a barn for 15 years. I've just got it running and am now fixing some of the necessary cosmetic stuff.

Current problem: the barn was home to fruit bats, which pooped all over the windshield. This appears to have etched the glass to the point where visibility is an issue. Has anyone else had this problem, and do you have any fixes? Replacing the windshield, isn't an option....long story, but I can't get a replacement locally.

What I've tried so far:

detergent
fine steel wool
razor blade
silver polish

Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.
Never encountered this problem before but apparently it is fairly common in places. What I found is to try auto paint compound, jewellers rouge, bar keepers friend- All lightly abrasive polishing compounds. One guy said replacing the windshield is often better way to fix it. Apparently bat guano is very acidic and does a real number on glass and paint. Here's a good discussion on the problem I found.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-glass.820164/

Good luck
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:18
NAXJA Forum User

In a previous life as an automotive detailer, I've used buffing compound and a rotary buffer to remove light scratches from a windshield. I would be extremely careful about that though. It's very easy to mess up and cause more damage. I was using a rotary 20+ hours a week at the time and was comfortable with it, I'm not sure I'd do the same now. It would be safer but more more time consuming to try and buff it by hand
Old January 18th, 2018, 08:44
NAXJA Forum User

I bought some of that buffing stuff.
you need an air wheel. or high speed buffing wheel.

thats the best deal if I remember right.
I fixed some scratches in my windows made by the plastic seals
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

look up on youtube how to use it.
you make a paste.
and I suggest using a blanket or other to mask the car.
It kicks brown/dark stuff when spun on the buffer.
Old January 18th, 2018, 11:24
NAXJA Forum User

Worst case scenario is that you replace the windshield. It's under $200 around here, and more than likely the adhesive holding it in place is dried to the point you'll get leaks anyway.
Old January 18th, 2018, 21:49
NAXJA Forum User

If it is etched and all of the Bat chit residue is gone, try waxing it. I always used Turtle wax. When mine was etched it was from blowing sand in the desert, the wax helped make the cloudy places more clear. Some of the newer nano waxes may be even better. They do make nano glass coatings, I've never tried any.

One thing I learned about polishing glass is circles are to be avoided, the tiny imperfections in a swirl really increases glare. While cleaning or polishing in a straight line helps minimize the glare some.
Old January 19th, 2018, 10:49
NAXJA Member

https://www.eastwood.com/glass-polis...ches-5658.html
Old January 19th, 2018, 13:39
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mud View Post
If it is etched and all of the Bat chit residue is gone, try waxing it. I always used Turtle wax. When mine was etched it was from blowing sand in the desert, the wax helped make the cloudy places more clear. Some of the newer nano waxes may be even better. They do make nano glass coatings, I've never tried any.

One thing I learned about polishing glass is circles are to be avoided, the tiny imperfections in a swirl really increases glare. While cleaning or polishing in a straight line helps minimize the glare some.
I bought a kit for coating plastic glasses that was scratch repair tech. I winder if they make one for glass. Googling "Glass coatings scratch" might turn something up.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 19th, 2018, 13:42
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
Bingo old_man winds the answer of the month award, I may even need to try this some day.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 19th, 2018, 14:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidBear View Post
... Replacing the windshield, isn't an option....long story, but I can't get a replacement locally. ...
Let's hear it!
Old January 19th, 2018, 21:00
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alheim View Post
Let's hear it!
I would bet being located in Brazil is a bit different than being located in the US.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old January 20th, 2018, 02:40
NAXJA Forum User

I looked at one South American XJ that had 44's front and rear, I wonder?
Old January 21st, 2018, 05:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I would bet being located in Brazil is a bit different than being located in the US.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions....very helpful, and yes it is quite different being in Brazil than back in the States.

The back story is that I drove this vehicle from San Diego back in 2001, and parked it in a barn out on a Cocoa farm after I was done with my travels. I recently started coming down for longer visits and thought that it was time to revive the old jeep.

Being on a Cocoa farm there is quite a lot of fruit grown in the area, which attracts fruit bats. Apparently their favorite place to hang out was from the rafters of the barn right above the jeep. From what I understand their excrement is quite acidic which causes the etching. I plan to have it resprayed which will take care of the paint, but the glass is another issue.

As far as a new windshield goes......parts for XJs are simply not available. They imported a few hundred of them in the 1999-2000 era, but that was it. Mine is a Renix, and as far as I know its the only one in the country.

All the parts to get it back on the road, I brought in a suitcase. Yes that included a full exhaust system that I cut into pieces and welded back together when I got down here.........and a radiator.....had to order an ultra large suitcase for that........

As you can see putting a windshield in a suitcase ain't going to happen, and shipping is also near impossible....apart from it being fragile, i'd have to get it past Brazilian customs, which is a byzantine bureaucracy staffed only by neanderthals. It would take months or perhaps years and cost a small fortune in lawyers and customs brokers, and even then may fail (I wish I was exaggerating).

Soooo..... It sounds like I need to polish and then wax or otherwise coat the glass. I am headed back to the states next week so this may need to wait for my next visit.

Do you have any specific recommendations for microcoating? that I can bring in a suitcase!
Old January 21st, 2018, 10:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mud View Post
I looked at one South American XJ that had 44's front and rear, I wonder?
I always wanted to hear Chrysler's explanation for why the export version got a front D44? But on the flip side, they were LP D44's!
Old January 21st, 2018, 10:26
NAXJA Forum User

if your flying yourself. pay the extra and take one on the plane.
call the airline. be nice. explain the situation. they will make it happen.
its gotta be the best way if it needs to be replaced.