NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 13th, 2015, 12:22
NAXJA Member

How much ac oil do I need

I just replaced my AC Compressor, Dryer, Evaporator , all the O rings and gaskets in my 2000 XJ.

Three questions:
  1. How much oil do I put back in?
  2. I have an 2000 XJ so do I need PAG 100?
  3. Do I just add the oil to the compressor?
I will have it professionally vacuumed and have them pressure test and add coolant.

I did search but the answers did not hit these point on the head for me.
Old February 13th, 2015, 15:41
NAXJA Forum User

Re: How much ac oil do I need

For my 97(2000 May be different?), AllData has the following listed. Also, I believe you add oil to each part of the system, not all added into the compressor.

Refrigerant Capacity 0.567 kg (1.25 lb)

Refrigerant Oil Capacity
A/C System = 240 ml (8.1 oz)
Accumulator = 120 ml (4 oz)
Condenser = 30 ml (1 oz)
Evaporator = 60 ml (2 oz)
Compressor = Drain and measure the oil from the old compressor

Edit: (Found this)

Refrigerant Oil Level
When an air conditioning system is assembled at the factory, all components (except the compressor are refrigerant oil free. After the system has been charged and operated, the oil in the compressor is dispersed throughout the refrigerant system. The accumulator, evaporator, condenser, and compressor will each retain a significant amount of oil.

It is important to have the correct amount of oil in the refrigerant system. This will ensure proper lubrication of the compressor. Too little oil will result in damage to the compressor. Too much oil will reduce the cooling capacity of the system.

It will not be necessary to check the oil level in the compressor or to add oil, unless there has been an oil loss. This may be due to a rupture or leak from a refrigerant line, a compressor shaft seal, an evaporator, or a condenser. If a rupture occurs, add 30 ml (1 ounce) of oil to the system after the repair has been made. Oil loss at a leak point will be evident by the presence of a wet, shiny surface around the leak.

Refrigerant oil must be added when a accumulator, evaporator, or condenser are replaced. See the Refrigerant Oil Capacities chart. When a compressor is replaced, the oil must be drained from the old compressor and measured. Drain all the oil from the new compressor, then fill the new compressor with the same amount of oil that was drained out of the old compressor.

Fluid Type: SP-20 PAG
Old February 13th, 2015, 17:52
NAXJA Member

This is what I was looking for iwantadie. Thank you!
Old July 31st, 2020, 15:18
NAXJA Forum User

Hey there! The amount of air conditioning oil or freon how they call it among tech geeks depends very much on the car you own. For example for my Toyota Camry I do with about 4000 ml for all the systems. Anyway, the guys in the service told me that the only time I might need it again would be in case the system leaked which is highly improbable. In order to know the right amount of oil for your car just take it to an air conditioning repair servicing. Their employees will quickly examine your steel horse and give the answer.