NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 25th, 2020, 21:07
NAXJA Forum User

Solved No Start Issue on 88 XJ

So, my jeep died while driving the other day and I got it running again after searching wiring diagrams and old posts. In case someone else has a similar issue, I thought this may be some help.

Had a crank but no start issue. Wouldn't even try to start. I didn't hear the fuel pump prime, so that was my first suspect. I tried swapping relays and checking fuses but that didn't help. I bypassed the ballast resister, and started checking voltages. The fuel pump had power while cranking, but not for prime. Fuel pressure was fine. After some searching, I found my O2 sensor had grounded out on my exhaust. Once I removed the melted connector, the jeep would want to start while cranking, but immediately died when letting off on the starter. Still no fuel pump prime though. After reading over the wiring diagrams, I found that the 12v O2 sensor heater is on the same circuit as the fuel pump and the injector feed. The fuel pump bypasses this circuit while it is cranking only. So while I was cranking I would get fuel pump power, but as soon as I let off, it is supposed to switch circuits to the one I grounded out. All of these years I've had the Jeep, I had no idea we have fusible links, a wire that self destructed at a lower amperage in case of short so it saves your other wiring. Long story short, that fusible link fried when the O2 sensor plug melted to the exhaust. They're located by the battery, coming off of the starter solenoid. Once replaced, the Jeep is running great again. Hopefully this can be of help to someone down the road
Old July 26th, 2020, 07:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Solved No Start Issue on 88 XJ

Thanks.
Old July 26th, 2020, 13:06
NAXJA Member

Nicely done!!
Old July 26th, 2020, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you for writing this up. If that had happened to me I'd be reduced to pushing it off a cliff!

I had a similar issue, but fixed it 'by accident' when I pulled apart the fusible links to clean the connections. Nothing was burned out, but when I was done my own crank/no start problem seems to have been solved.
Old July 27th, 2020, 08:51
NAXJA Member

Nice job of logical troubleshooting, instead of throwing unneeded parts at a problem. We need more of this.
Old July 28th, 2020, 17:48
NAXJA Forum User

Solved No Start Issue on 88 XJ

Nice find! Those are the tricky ones

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk