• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sliders

whoozey1953

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some 2 x 4 x 3/16" wall rectangular tubing to make rock sliders for my '01 XJ. I clamped them up to drill through the pinch seam prior to adding tubes to tie into the "frame" rails. When I had them clamped up to the seam, I discovered that the pinch seam doesn't run parallel to the rocker, the tube sticks out more toward the front of the Jeep than in the back. I even took out the fender attachment bolt on the bottom of the front fender.

This is not acceptable to me, what did you guys do to make it even front to back? :confused:

whoozey1953 said:
I bought some 2 x 4 x 3/16" wall rectangular tubing to make rock sliders for my '01 XJ. I clamped them up to drill through the pinch seam prior to adding tubes to tie into the "frame" rails. When I had them clamped up to the seam, I discovered that the pinch seam doesn't run parallel to the rocker, the tube sticks out more toward the front of the Jeep than in the back. I even took out the fender attachment bolt on the bottom of the front fender.

This is not acceptable to me, what did you guys do to make it even front to back? :confused:

Mine were just welded to the unibody and then stitch welded to the seam wherever it hit it.
Billy

I had the same problem when doing mine. I was very annoyed! Im going to run a plumb line against the sides of the doors at every foot or so and use that as a measurement reference.

Lucas said:
I had the same problem when doing mine. I was very annoyed! Im going to run a plumb line against the sides of the doors at every foot or so and use that as a measurement reference.

I don't want to weld them on, I was thinking about using steel bungs welded on the sliders to make them parallel with the rocker panels.

Anybody who has bought some from suppliers...how do they do that?

:helpme:

I made some rock rails for my 2000. Here is a measured drawing for the rails.

standard.jpg

Here is a photo of the finished rails. Looking down from next to the XJ the rails follow the rocker exactly and stick out enough to protect the bottom of the doors.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I think you will find out that the body of the XJ actually tappers in. Not the pinch seem. I made mine out of 2X6 and bolted it to the pinch seem. It matches in width compared to the tires front and rear, but not the body.

I still like mine!

jkkj said:
I think you will find out that the body of the XJ actually tappers in. Not the pinch seem. I made mine out of 2X6 and bolted it to the pinch seem. It matches in width compared to the tires front and rear, but not the body.

I still like mine!

GawdDamn MoJunk! :soapbox:

I want to make mine parallel with the body, I'll post pix once I figure out how I'm going to do it.

:eyes:

I tacked together everything EXCEPT the 1x1 angle for the pinch seam. Next I clamped the 1x1 angle to the pinch seam. Then using big "C" clamps I attached and leveled the sliders so everything looked good. The main tube followed the door bottoms and stuck out far enough to protect the doors. Tack the 1x1 angle for the pinch seam to the sliders and then pull off the clamps. I welded it all together and added paint. The 1x1 angle and the rocker tube are NOT parallel.

standard.jpg

I used 3x5, welded in place of the rocker, I also used angle welded to the pinch seam to act as a 'ledge' to set the tubing on top of so it could be firmly attached to the pinch seam at an angle.

815rocker5-med.jpg

815rocker3-med.jpg

Mine are 2 x 6 x 3/16 and YES the body is narrower in the front than the rear & that's why they dont sit perfectly parallel to the body. I dont notice anymore with all the rusty rock rash. They sit out about an inch further in the front.

-jb

Check out the website of naxja member PA Highlander. He built his own rock rails and has lots of pictures. I was in a rush to get ready for a 4x4 trip and didn't get any in-progress pictures.

rock_rails1.jpg

Back