• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Locker Ring Gear Bolt Hole Diameter

Blazair

NAXJA Forum User
What diameter should the bolt holes for the ring gear be? I just got a used, but never installed Detroit for a D44, DTL-187SL16C, 30 spline 3.92 and numericallt higher, and the ring gear bolt holes are 1/2 inch in diameter. They dont appear to be drilled out , but they are huge compared to the bolts in the install kit.

3/8" or 7/16"

The bolts should have a shoulder on them,that centers them in the carrier and a threaded portion that screws into the ring gear.
New bolts should come with a new gear set. (iirc)

Wayne

Shoulders on a d44 ring gear bolt? I don't think I ever seen that? And ring gear bolts never come with any aftermarker R&P sets.

As stated. The d44 in the tjs take 3/8 and the rubicons and other d44's go 7/16. Never. 1/2 in a d44.

A std D44 uses 3/8"-24.

Thanks for the input guys. They the bolt holes in the locker I have are definitely 1/2. Looks like I've been bamboozled, but I got a backup plan! :)

The JK rear axles are using bigger ring bolts that normal due to the extra torque from the diesel motors (export models). I heard they had issues with shearing the bolts on the street! The early models had 7/16" bolts but the later models (mid-2007) shipped with 1/2". It's possible that yours was intended for a JK, I guess.

Back