• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Ring Gear Bolt Size?

Check your locker AND your ring gear. I did an install (Detroit trutrac) in Jan. and the ring gear(Yukon, 3.73s) had a dual bolt pattern on it. The holes in the trutrac were for the larger size, while the bolts from the install kit were the smaller one.

I think the large was 7/16, and the small was 3/8. Randy's R&P(got all my stuff there) also sells spacers to use the small bolt ring gears with the carriers that have the larger holes..(side note, if you have the choice, the spacers cost 3x the price of the bolts.)

i should have mentioned that its a lockrite so ill be using the stock carrier with 3.55 gears

You don't need to pull the ring gear, or for that matter the dif. to put a lockrite in. All you have to do is pull the axle shafts.
Are you re-gearing to 3.55s, or is the open 3.55 what you already have?

the axle gots 3.55's, i thought with the 30 you need to pull off the ring gear to get the cross shaft out?

Oops! My bad,...

I've put a couple loc-rites in, and tore into a couple different d-30s apart, but never put a loc-rite into a d-30. I never gave it much thought, but the -30 I pulled spider gears from had 3.07 gears(and the cross shaft will come out).

Walked out and looked, sure enough, the 3.55s interfere :D Sorry,...

'Guys a Randy's say you can grind the edge off to clear the shaft without giving up strength. They're usually talking about a lot lower gear sets.From their web page They also say you should do it on a bench, which kind of defeats the purpose, but,... whatever.

Anyway, the Summit bolts look like the right ones for the stock carrier.

with the abuse ive givin this axle and the abuse its gonna get id rather not reuse 200k mile bolts when new ones cost 10 bucks

Back