• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter, 2.1 (Renault) turbo diesel.

Steve (Correze)

NAXJA Forum User
Help! :bawl:

I have a 2.1 TD XJ, built in 1990 with the Renault engine.

The starter is suspect, clicks when you turn the key, but nothing else. Hitting it a few times and trying again sometimes gets it to spin up and start the engine.

Getting hold of a replacement starter isn't a problem, as I am in France... the problem is getting the **** thing off.

I've removed all the bolts holding the starter in (3 on the bellhousing, 2 small ones securing the other end to the engine block) and I can move the starter about half an inch forwards and rotate it about 90 degrees about it's axis, but I can't get enough movement to get the "nose" clear of the bellhousing.

Anyone taken one of these off before and have any tips?

Edit: Or, am I missing something silly, like needing to depress the clutch to start the engine? I've never had an American built vehicle before and I know that you have some safety features that we don't have in Europe.

This sounds more like a solenoid problem than an actual starter problem. Can you just remove the solenoid fromthe starter? I'm not familiar with this particular engine but when the electrical contacts in the solenoid get dirty or corroded it won't let enought juice through to turn the starter. My deutze tractor does the same thing all the time.

Thanks.

I'm going to try removing the solenoid then, as to remove the starter it looks like the engine mount has to come off, which means a whole load of added hassle.

Just to confirm, as far as anyone knows, I'm definitely not dealing with some sort of safety "the vehicle must be in neutral, the driver's seatbelt must be fastened" lock-out system, i.e. I should just be able to turn the key to start the engine?

(It's a manual transmission).

Jeepm@n said:
Clutch must be depressed to start if its a manual tranny.

Thank you.

Given my past experiences with Renault electrics (I own a Renault 5 (Le Car) and a Reanult 21 (Eagle Medallion), both of which have a list of electrical problems longer than the vehicles themselves), I now have something to hunt down before I try doing anything else to the starter.

Wonderful people, the French, but electricity is something they just don't understand...

Steve (Correze) said:
Thank you.

Given my past experiences with Renault electrics (I own a Renault 5 (Le Car) and a Reanult 21 (Eagle Medallion), both of which have a list of electrical problems longer than the vehicles themselves), I now have something to hunt down before I try doing anything else to the starter.

Wonderful people, the French, but electricity is something they just don't understand...

thank you for that chuckle, I laughed out loud this morning!

Well, it is 16 years later and I have the same issue wrt removal. MUST the motor mount come off for starter removal? Anyone who has done the starter removal? RSVP

Back