• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0331 head Identifing

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found much helpful info but was unsure if the 0331 head numbers can be seen clearly or not on the head outside the V/C near #3 cyl. I found a 01 Chero with 69K on it and would like to check it out closer but if the 0331 casting is there should pass on it?
Any guidance would be great.
Thank You.

If you've read the other threads you'll know to take the oil filler cap off and look between the #s 3 and 4 cylinders on the head for a crack or somethng that should not be there. Look at the bottom of the cap as well. Should you pass? Depends. The 1999 - 2001 engine burns cleaner and has a rail mounted distribution system that is hotter and less prone to failure than the earlier systems. The 0331 head may have some problems, but none that DC will admit. A rebuilt can be had for around 300 - 400 dollars if you have a problem. You get to make the call. I have an '01 and love it, but I have a rebuilt head with a 12 month guarantee because of the failure on the original. Do they all fail? No. Could I get hit by a truck today on the way to go buy milk? Yes.

You pays yer money and you takes yer chances, just like in everything else. I saw on another site a guy who had modified an older head to accept the distribution rail, nothing fancy, and it worked.

Life is full of choices.

Fish'nCarz said:
You pays yer money and you takes yer chances, just like in everything else. I saw on another site a guy who had modified an older head to accept the distribution rail, nothing fancy, and it worked.

Life is full of choices.

Yes, it is. Do you happen to have a link for that conversion? I'd like to see it, for my own edification...

5-90

Granted, Ive just have shitty luck with most everything except my 95 XJ with 200K. Id hate to pony up 10K and have another unreliable vehicle like the swell truck I bought a few years ago.
Thanks for the info.

dyna said:
I did a search and found much helpful info but was unsure if the 0331 head numbers can be seen clearly or not on the head outside the V/C near #3 cyl. I found a 01 Chero with 69K on it and would like to check it out closer but if the 0331 casting is there should pass on it?
Any guidance would be great.
Thank You.

An '01 XJ will definitely have the crack-prone 0331 head. Should you avoid it? As Fish'nCarz said, peer under the valve cover and see if there's any light brown emulsion between the exhaust valve springs of the no.3 and no.4 cylinders, and on the inside of the oil filler cap. If it all looks OK and the engine isn't suffering from the mystery loss of coolant that's the earliest sign of a cracked head, you could take your chances and hope that you'll be one of the lucky ones.
You might wanna check out the rest of the vehicle for other potential troublespots e.g. warped rotors.

Dr. Dyno said:
An '01 XJ will definitely have the crack-prone 0331 head. Should you avoid it? As Fish'nCarz said, peer under the valve cover and see if there's any light brown emulsion between the exhaust valve springs of the no.3 and no.4 cylinders, and on the inside of the oil filler cap. If it all looks OK and the engine isn't suffering from the mystery loss of coolant that's the earliest sign of a cracked head, you could take your chances and hope that you'll be one of the lucky ones.
You might wanna check out the rest of the vehicle for other potential troublespots e.g. warped rotors.

I have a 01 WJ with the 0331 head. I wonder if the WJs have the same problem.
Going towards 100K with no problems.

Back