• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:1 for a NP242??

JeepinAaron

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make a 4:1 or other low ratio kit for the 242?? I know there is the TeraLo kit for the 231. And the other more expensive option of a AA T-case.

91 Jeep Project said:
Call Tera, they can do it for you. You have to send them your case though.

I've always wondered about this, what exactly do they do to the case? I mean their 4:1 for the 231 comes in a complete front unit that you bolt in yourself. Why can't they do the same per order for the 242? You call them up and order it and they ship you the parts. Do they machine the case?

Does anybody know?

CartsXJ said:
I've always wondered about this, what exactly do they do to the case? I mean their 4:1 for the 231 comes in a complete front unit that you bolt in yourself. Why can't they do the same per order for the 242? You call them up and order it and they ship you the parts. Do they machine the case?

Does anybody know?

I am uninformed as far as what exactly they do to the case.

91 Jeep Project said:
I am uninformed as far as what exactly they do to the case.

It does make you wonder though, doesn't it? They gotta change the planetaries out, makes you wonder if you could adapt the low range gears from a 231 kit to a 242.

CartsXJ said:
It does make you wonder though, doesn't it? They gotta change the planetaries out, makes you wonder if you could adapt the low range gears from a 231 kit to a 242.

Yes, I imagine they do some machining to make the 242 parts fit with their 231 4:1. Otherwise they would just sell a complete kit for the 242.

I spoke to Tera about it 2 years ago. They said send your case in to them and then they send it out to a local machine shop for work. I can't remember what happens to the case, but they were talking about 4 weeks for the whole project. At the time they only had done like 20 cases. I was going to do it through www.dc4wd.com for around $750.

I got cold feet do to the amount of time needed to get it done. I may still consider it later on though.

Back