• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M.O.R.E's "universal" weld on shock mounts

1bolt

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't gotten through to MORE about this (waiting on a return email) does anyone know what they mean by "universal"? It apears to me that they are for a 8.25 and their radius is wrong for a D35 (slightly larger gaps at the ends of the weldment/axle mating area).

I guess what I'm getting at is do they consider the gap to be structurally unimportant when welded on to a smaller diameter D35 axle tube? Has anyone here used them on a D35?

I'm asking because I am selling a pair and have someone asking me the same question. So I went out in 4 inches of snow in the dark with a freezing cold mag light got under my YJ and put one on the D35, which is how I noted the small difference.

Got a set on my 8.25. Just bent the ears a bit, and made sure to get a good bead on them.

CanMan: second link
CW I'm no master weldor so take this for what it's worth but I've never heard that a gap is a good thing (which is why I was asking the original question) and I know a race fabricator who spends whole manhours lightly sanding the inside of his 4 link and 4 bar axle brackets until he can JUST pursuade them over the axle tube when they are heated (like you might do with a pinion bearing or other baring), before he Tig's them into place. For the reason of "keeping as much stress off the welds as possible".

Back