• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good AW4 transmission cooler kit?

halmca

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to convert my transmission cooler from the stock one that uses the engine coolant to one that uses forced as well as AN lines and fittings running to and from the transmission / cooler.

I'd really like to find a complete kit, but my search skills are moderate at best.

Anyone acquired and installed such a kit with which they are happy? If yes, I'd sure appreciate a link. Or to put it differently, I'd sure appreciate a recommendation.

Do you want to put the cooler in front of the AC condenser or somewhere else? Do you want to no longer include the heat exchanger built into the radiator?

Don't bypass the cooler built into the radiator; it does a lot more cooling than people think. Anyone with a gauge on their's will come to this conclusion very quickly.

Do you want to put the cooler in front of the AC condenser or somewhere else? Do you want to no longer include the heat exchanger built into the radiator?
Not sure what I want. Best case scenario, I would have a nice set unmangled factory lines with with which I would replace my mangled, cut, and otherwise knackered lines.

I was thinking a stand-alone cooler with fan mounted on the driver's side under the jeep and out of harm's way would be the easiest solution.

My existing lines are beyond repair. Running rubber hoses in and about the front steering/suspension does not appeal to me.

Suggestions welcome.

Derale is the most affordable choice for a cooler with a built-in fan. They have bar-and-plate versions. A few challenges with using a cooler with an integrated fan in front of the AC condenser are:

- It might be too thick to fit in the available space.
- These have a built-in shroud that will limit airflow when the fan is not operating. Will likely make the engine run hotter except when the fan is enabled.

Depending on the intended usage of the XJ, it might be better to mount it somewhere else such as below the radiator as you mentioned. The 13740 might fit reasonably well in that location. It might also fit under the vehicle at locations towards the rear.

It may be good to keep the integrated radiator heat exchanger in the loop. An auto trans is designed to run at ~180F. Putting the heat exchanger after the external cooler will help keep the ATF at an optimal temperature (if your engine cooling systems is working well).

If you are looking for total cooling line replacement, definitely check out RCP Phx's thread. He's figured out the adapters to attach -AN to the AW4 and to the integrated heat exchanger.

My existing lines are beyond repair. Running rubber hoses in and about the front steering/suspension does not appeal to me.

Suggestions welcome.
Dorman makes replacement metal lines for the XJ.

If you're removing the transmission side fittings, be
aware that it's easy to break off a corner of the
female port on one of them. It will ruin your day, and
is virtually impossible to repair.

Applying penetrant and using a propane torch to heat the
area will reduce the chance of cracking....be very careful.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. If I wrung off one of those fittings on the side of the AW-4, I would throw myself off of a bridge. Fortunately, or un, I've had mine out several times, and I keep a tube of anti-seize in my shirt pocket.

BTW, throwing ones self of a bridge in north Florida -- it's not the fall that does you in -- it's the 'gators.

" definitely check out RCP Phx's thread." I shall, and thank you for the suggestion. As to 'Running on empty's' "Dorman makes replacement metal lines for the XJ." Wow, had no idea. That could well be my . . . um . . . . final solution.

Great forum: thanks again for the on-point, thoughtful suggestions.

Back