• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-6

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
I changed to T-6 rotella for the winter, how long of an oil change interval are you guys doing on t-6? It's substantially more expensive than the regular rotella and I don't like changing oil in the winter time.

Two things to consider about oil are fine particles and shear. I save a lot of wear on my motors with a block heater when it gets cold. Mine is a blanket that lays on the motor, all but eliminates startup noise and oil pressure lag at startup. The majority of wear is at startup. Fine particle reduction is avoiding wear at startup, having a good filter, and avoiding long periods at motor idle. Shear happens, but quality oils are supposed to greatly reduce shear.

That's why I run rotella. I have to start and stop my engine my engine 50-75 times a day, and several hours a day at idle in drive. With the standard 15w-40 though, my engine is substantially louder in the winter so that why I switched to the thinner synthetic to the winter. I really need to put rod bearings in it but don't have the time during Christmas season.

all but eliminates startup noise and oil pressure lag at startup. The majority of wear is at startup. Fine particle reduction is avoiding wear at startup,

That's why I installed a pre-oiler on my stroker!

With synthetics, it depends on the condition of the motor. I'd usually go 8,000 miles. 10,000-12,000 if the motor runs clean. Also, I'd change at least once a year, regardless of miles. I use NAPA Platinum filters.

Edit: I also use T-6 in my two XJs, the past two years or so. I used to use 10W-30 T4 Rotella. I like a diesel rated oil for the 4.0L as to the Zinc levels.

Last edited:
You could consider a 5w-30. Also, keep in mind the oil filter bypass pressure. A cold oil will likely force the filter into bypass mode.

I wouldn't have thought a 5w/30 was backward compatible with oil having the ingredients/additives/qualities that an XJ 4.0 needs.

I prefer 75SV1's rationale (although I have to get "diesel oil" in France) but not sure about those extended oil-change periods. Buy cheap & change frequently has always been my philosophy, so will be doing an oil-change after 3,000, as usual - even though I think that'll be at the end of January!

Since gasoline motor oils with high ZDDP levels have only been available in specialty variants for a number of years now, anyone who isn't actively searching out a high ZDDP oil will be using a low ZDDP oil which is likely the majority of XJ owners. If a low ZDDP oil were a real issue, there would be a lot more damaged XJ valve-trains. The SN/SP motor oils of course have anti-wear additives, just not ZDDP.

On say a 5W30, I do not know specifics. I would watch what your oil pressure is at idle. I think the min is 13 psi. I've been told 1,000 PSI per 1000 RPM as a rule of thumb. Still, I'd be a bit Leary on that. I think some oiling systems require more PSI than others.
If I was in Europe, or even in the US, I'd see what is compatible oil for a Mercedes-Benz 240D. Also, Blackstone did a study for customer's analysis for 3 different makes of Vehicles. I remember two of them being a Subaru and a Corvette. I don't remember the other. Amsoil was one of the top ones on all three. T6 was at the top on the Subaru and the other. I didn't see it listed for the Vette.

I just found out that the famous motor oil test article was updated in Spring 2021. (https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/) Its always interesting to see where a favorite motor oil resides on the list. Rotella T6 is far from the top. The current best is some new Quaker State motor oil. Its got twice the load bearing capability as T6, and its a standard passenger car motor oil, API SP. Happens that the 5W-30 variant was tested.

I know I'm going OT on this thread, but it can't hurt to consider whether T6 really is the best choice, especially for an extended oil change scenario.

Back