• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First misfire now no start.

Blackxj95

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, first time posting here. I've owned a 95 2 door since 2002, I recently gave it a full tune up from fuel pump to all sensors and plugs wires distributor and cap. What made me do this was it had a bad misfire at about 15mph and above. Sounded like it was only firing on 3 cylinders. Did a pressure check on all cylinders and im good. I have fuel and spark, even replaced the coil just to make sure. After about 2 weeks of running horrible she finally gave out and died on me mid drive. She'll crank for days but not run. Im almost positive its the ECM, problem is I can't seem to find a replacement ECM for a 95 with a 2.5l 5 speed manual that people don't want $500 or more for. Can anyone think of something I may have missed (its timed properly). I hate to have to sell her to a "we buy junk cars" person for $300 since it was my first car back in 2002 when I got her. Any insight is much appreciated.

Almost never the ecm on an xj. A no start condition on an xj is almost always the cps. Buy a mopar unit, not a house brand or it may be doa.

Failure of the ECM is very highly unlikely and should only be considered after thorough and in-depth diagnostic testing and trouble shooting.

Sudden onset of symptoms should make one suspect the most recent repairs or modifications. I would confirm all the tune-up parts are the specified and correct parts, they are not cheap crappy Chinese parts, and that the plugs wires are routed correctly.

I forgot to mention, it had all these symptoms before I put any new parts on it. Which is why I started replacing parts. Symptoms didn't change after the new parts where put on. It has name brand cps, coolant temp sensor, distributor and cap, ngk plugs, and so on. I even replaced and soldered new capacitors into the ecm. Thinking maybe the old original capacitors had given out.

Update, my neighbor and I did a full diagnostic on it.
(He's a heavy equipment mechanic with all the proper diagnostic tools) at first we where not getting spark or injector pulse. Disconnect the ecm and reconnected it. She backfired and cranked up. Let it run for 15 min. I dont have a tax gauge being a base model but when given rpm, id guess 3k to 4k it shut off again and wouldn't run again. Idled fine and revved fine until I put it in first gear and tried to move it. Bam killed out right then

Do a compression and vacuum test. That will tell you most everything.

Back