• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal buildings (garage use)

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
I recently gave up a fairly large garage to move out of state. I am getting ready to build a new garage.. Looking for input on steel buildings. Advice on manufacturers and installers. Also advice on unexpected costs if you have recently built a shop or garage. I know there are a lot of variables that change from state to state, but I just want to hear if anyone has any good or bad experiences with any particular Steel building sellers.

Looking at 40 x 60 x 14. But nothing is set in concrete yet....pun intended.

A friend just ordered a 50x60x16 and one thing I'll say is the lead times were insane... 8 months for him

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Damn, guys, I was feeling pretty good about my new 30x40’ garage, but now I’m developing garage size envy. At least I’ve got 15’ of height from floor to ceiling joists.

Don't feel bad Al, the way shopping is going....I may not even get one. Getting any kind of straight answer about pricing, time, labor costs, etc. is not going well.

And NOBODY wants to do the complete project from start to finish....I get the feeling they want to have others involved to blame if anything goes wrong.

Get the slab done by a different person than the metal framers... Also have an electrician come out before the slab is poured...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The guy I bought the place from had the slab poured and the roof put on. Then he got transferred or something and left the shop looking like a car port.

I’m having it finished in this configuration, roughly.

2f0f38b6836b0fbe1010f35195a44633.jpg

a9dd30f8114b445214b4f8596a6c7f6a.jpg

e62ad39c6d2537d4b28d97894fb4a9e3.jpg

The structure in the corner houses my well water pump.

I am so effing ready to move out there when I get my shit wrapped up in SoCal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The overhead doors will each be 12’ tall, BTW, not 8’ as shown. Tall enough to drive into with my fishing kayak on my roof!

I've Built Big ass metal buildings; nothing consumer oriented, Though. Sorry.

One thing I can tell you is to be cautious about bureaucrats and fire ratings. About 20 years ago I purchased a metal building after checking with the San Diego building department regarding size and setbacks for my lot. I would have thought a metal building would be regarded as being as fire-proof a structure as one could ever hope for. Nope. Since they don't know how long it will take for it to burn down it is regarded as un-rated for fire. I kid you not. Stick framed with 5/8" sheetrock and stucco they are fine with because they know just how long it will take before it catches fire, but steel? Oh no. You can't build that.

Bunch of illegitimate offspring of female mutts.

That was the point at which I ceased trying to do anything to upgrade my house in San Diego.

Hopefully Williams doesn't have such issues, but most of these bureaucrats read from the same playbook. Get anything you need from them in writing, and don't assume anything that involves common sense.

Having sorted out all that garage mess, I've installed a carport. Actually, I bought it, but anyway, it's the best purchase I've made recently. I have a close friend working at https://carportaustralia.com.au/cantilever-carport/, so he helped install one at a special discount. Tbh, I've only seen these carports in pictures. Love the way it looks. The main thing is that my wife doesn't disturb me anymore about my mess in the garage. Sorry for interrupting you, guts. Just wanted to share my little happy moment. Thanks a lot. Best wishes, guys.

Free Shipping? :D

I am very glad that you shared your happy things in life. I am happy for your wife as well as for you. I understand you perfectly. I also had many arguments with my wife because of our garage. And I understand it perfectly. Our garage was in a very dilapidated condition and didn't even have a high-quality door. There was only garbage there, and my wife disliked it. So this summer, I started working on my garage and recently finished it. td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}

I am very glad that you shared your happy things in life. I am happy for your wife as well as for you. I understand you perfectly. I also had many arguments with my wife because of our garage. And I understand it perfectly. Our garage was in a very dilapidated condition and didn't even have a high-quality door. There was only garbage there, and my wife disliked it. So this summer, I started working on my garage and recently finished it. We also have a garage door from advantagegd.com, and everything is wonderful.td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}

Back