• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 rear disc question - need caliper info

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching but I can't find info on what caliper everybody was recommending when you go with the eldorado rotors on the rear of a D44. I want an ebrake but not the exploder version with the small brake shoes. I found and scrounged a set from a vehicle a couple of years ago but the pads are a bit small for my likes. It has the ebrake that is actuated with cable and closes the pads (not shoes). I am hoping there is a suitable donor that has large pads and a good design ebrake and that somebody makes an adapter plate so I don't have to cut my own?

I haven't looked real closely at it yet, but mine has ZJ calipers. I got the axle from 99xjache. It appears to use a hook attached to the e-brake cable to pull the pads in. I know WJ calipers are real popular up front because of their larger pads and dual piston, maybe they started that trend in the ZJ?

Darky, I believe you are incorrect.
I pulled parts from a ZJ for my gal's 8.25 ZJ Disc swap and it uses regular old calipers with no integrated e-brake. The ebrake system is a drum type setup inside the rotor.

Any reason why you don't want this setup Tom? It's way cheaper than Eldorado calipers and once you get it adjusted correct, works like a champ. Basic maintenance to ensure everything stays clean in there and they work great.

I may be. :) I'll have to take a look at it when I get home. IIRC it's got a slot off the top of the pad that connects to the cable.

Darky, I believe you are incorrect.
I pulled parts from a ZJ for my gal's 8.25 ZJ Disc swap and it uses regular old calipers with no integrated e-brake. The ebrake system is a drum type setup inside the rotor.
This is correct.

Looked at this the other day at the Junkyard when I was pulling my explorer stuff for discs.

From MadXJ.com
ZJrearDiscsOnXJ06.jpg

I have the El Dorado rear disc brake setup on my dana 44. I bought it from TSM, I believe. The e-brake works, but not great. With the El Dorado calipers, you have to set the e-brake every time you park since the calipers are not self-adjusting. They adjust every time the e-brake is set.

It's kind of a different setup and I don't know if I would recommend it or not. It has worked great for me though. Had it on for roughly 2 years and I am a huge fan of the easy maintenance vs drum brakes. I am sure you could go with another setup and save a lot of green though. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions on my setup.

I don't want the explorer type ebrake because I have an explorer and the ebrake is crap. It doesn't hold well at all.

Back