• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another XJ ride/lift advice post

I wanted a simple 3-3.5 " lift for my 1990 DD. I went a little further and have adj trackbar, upper and lower control arms, Cloak springs in front, OME rear leafs with new bump stops and Bilstien 5100 shocks. No changes to the drive line.
Great ride, better than new, but it has a little body roll without the rear sway bar. The front was upgraded to the 1" or whatever the large sway bar was available.

Si i didn't find a post on my request elsewhere but I know it's been discussed many times so here I go anyway ...

Hey everyone,

It's been about 12 years since I listed an XJ and need some advice.

I just got my hands on a 92 Cherokee that mint.* I plan on just using it as a cruiser with my 16yo son driving it to school here and there.* It will see very little to almost no offroading - I have other Jeeps for that.

I'm looking to lift and would love to get the largest tire i can in it without cutting up the fender.* My list important quality is ride and stability.* I will not be working this Jeep, just want it to ride beautifully and look even nicer.

Back on the day RE and OME were the go to manufacturer.* Who should I be looking at now for a lift with a great ride?* Recommendations!

​​​​​​​Thanks!

The largest tire you can fit without cutting up the fender is a 31x10.5 on the stock 5.25" backspace rims.

Without taller bump stops a tire at full jounce (compression) may rub the plastic fender lip liners, but not contact the metal fenders.

With a 30 year old XJ, it's expected that original control arm and anti-sway bar bushings are worn or compromised. Replace the rubber, with new stock parts or a lift kit and the ride almost always improves (more so after proper caster is set).

Castor wont affect ride quality if its in a -4- +7 range.
If its on the negative side steering and all around driveability and comfort will be compromised. It will also cause Frustration and white knuckles

+2 isnt horrible but isnt great. Youl still have to steer and stay constantly on it but less likly to get pulled over for dwi

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back