• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Legs on the Rock Rail, Rock Slider

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing rock rails, the bolt to pinch seam type. The rail has two legs per side that attached to frame. I have frame stiffeners.

Is there much strength to be gained by adding more legs than two? I have seen them with as many as four legs per side.

I have the material to add more legs, is it worth doing, or is two legs more than enough strength wise?

Thanks!

That would depend on the strength of the pinch seam support, I have built all mine with 3 legs back from a tube rail.
_7A_00339_zpsriab86pu.jpg

Points well taken, thank you!

My pinch seam rail, to which the pinch seam is bolted to, is 1/4 inch thick x 1 inch flat stock, the two legs are 1x4 inch rectangular tube. there is a fairly large span of that pinch seam rail between the two existing legs. so I will add two more legs.

As for the pinch seam rail, what do you all use? Is the 1/4 x 1 inch thick flat stock adequate, or should that too be beefed up?

The one in pics is based on 1"x1.25"x.120", the .120" wall matches the pinch seam perfectly and it's bolted tight to the bottom as to carry the load over the entire length/width.

I've gotten a lot a BC questions so I will add that they are bolted onto the frame rails and the pinch seam with 13 bolts per side (NO sheet metal screws)!

My sliders only have 2 legs and are pinch seam bolted about 10 times. They're made from .188 wall and the tube is dented but the structure is still perfect... I think the design is better than the tube thickness

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Back