• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX + MT2500

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm shopping around for my Christmas present, saw an MT2500 scanner with a lot of cartridges. What cartridge should I be looking for to scan my RENIX?

If I remember right the "thru 97' or 99' domestic" ones are backwards compatible. This might have changed, its been a while since I researched cartridges. At some point they changed the board and are not backwards to obd1. Fuzzy memory is failing me right now. I do know my "thru 97' " definately works.

Those, VCI and TSI, 1999... will not work on a Renix. Need the older, non programmable ones.

Look at this sold listing. Research these, ideally these will set you up so the scanner is not a one trick pony. Wish they had these when I bought my setup 10 years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAPON-MT2500-SCANNER-VCI-amp-TSI-PROGRAMMABLE-CARTRIDGES-/361861429156?hash=item54409f37a4%3Am%3Am1uBjo4H57SpMs1iQkQgY_Q&item=361861429156&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=7WlWHlfLnDbS1J4b6UW4fNC9XPA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Snoop around this site: http://productforum.autorepairdata.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2628

mt2500vci and mt2500tsi is probably what you need to search for.

Last edited:
You need:

1) a basic MT-2500 brick Version V-2.0 IIRC

2) Two Jeep (they must list Jeep on the label) cartridges, the basic one and the troubleshooting cartridge (if you want all the bells and whistles). I think Mine are 1996, so they would work on Renix, OBD-II and OBD-II up to 1996. The 1996 basic cartridge would work up to 2001, but the 1996 troubleshooting cartridge may have serious issues past 1996. I have yet to use my troubleshooting cartridge, have not needed it yet, the basic one did all I needed so far.

3) then you need the Jeep (Renix) adapter cable. Jeep-4 ???

4) and the main Snap-on Serial cable, not the extension cable, the main cable that attaches to the MT-2500, they are not the same and the Jeep-4 is different also, it is an adapter to the Jeep port...

That will let you talk to Renix 87-90 rigs!!!!

I bought 2001 cartridges for my non-jeeps. ALL OBD-I (91-95) and OBD-II (96-01) requires another adapter, and cable and personality keys!!!!! I bought those also.

I'm shopping around for my Christmas present, saw an MT2500 scanner with a lot of cartridges. What cartridge should I be looking for to scan my RENIX?

Get the book too!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-MT2...m5ad97bf240:m:mS1vWsd_bwOnNb6tcvSDI3g&vxp=mtr

Cable is a Jeep-1, not 4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-Sca...ash=item3d2ed4d709:g:EEYAAOSwo4pYO0hf&vxp=mtr

Jeep troubleshooter up to 1995 (shop for the newest you can get up to about 1998, NON VCI non programmable, must say JEEP on the face name plate)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Snap...786556?hash=item3d2e6b433c:g:EKAAAOSwBLlVJd5s

This would be a good deal up to 97 for the troubleshooting and 98 for the basic (they call it "Primary"), maybe up 2001 for Jeep OBD scanning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-Car...:g:V0oAAOSwcUBYQNt5&item=152378502795&vxp=mtr

I think this is the main data cable you need

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5FT-Snap-on...3eaa8fc&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=192040323328

IF an ad says extension cable anywhere, it is the wrong cable!!!!

You want version 2.2 w/backlight

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...ash=item2a77bb33ee:g:yQ0AAOSwa~BYXIhk&vxp=mtr

I never could find a package deal with most of what I needed in one package. Took 6 weeks buying mine in parts. I got a working MT-2500 by itself first, and one primary cartridge first and Jeep (Renix) cable. Then discovered I needed the main data cable too :(

Then I shopped for the other newer OBD-I and OBD-II goodies

Those, VCI and TSI, 1999... will not work on a Renix. Need the older, non programmable ones.

I knew there was something i was forgetting, has to say Jeep as well. Just confirmed my cartridge, 99' domestic with Jeep (mt2500-1099) and a 98" trouble shooter. As long as you have the right ob2 key, this cartridge works up to about 2003 vehicles too, used it on a dodge and a gm car before. Troubleshooter is pretty basic help that most jeepers already know or is printed in regular repair manual.

Slightly OT. With the proper serial cable and Jeep Renix connector later model Snap on scan tools will work. Albeit more money, probably than an MT2500.
We have a snap on 'Solus' at work, that communicates with renix.

Thanks guys!

I did some poking around the RENIX Power page on yahoo, came up with cartridge #s "2998 Troubleshooter and 1099 Primary"

The local craigslist ad says:
CL seller said:
MT 2500 scanner has all Keys, Programmable VCI cartridge updated through 2004 Domestic and Asian has legacy program for OBD1 cars. Many connectors, cables and books.

I am guessing that will get me past the "version 2.2" recommendation. It should also help diagnose my wife's '03 Hyundai. ;)

I have texted the seller, who states: "It lists Jeep 84 to 99." We have confirmed the set does not have the "Jeep-1" adapter. I could spend less money for a base unit and try to build from there, but my gut tells me this purchase might not be so bad.

Anyway, I am still open to input, THANKS!

It is going to be version 2.2 anyway for that so called Brick, the MT-2500, V-2.2 was the last one. The cartridges changed every year, but not the scanner.

How much was he asking?

Make sure the cartridges say JEEP on the front label!!!!

The VCI's are from what all I read, a crap shoot, like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get, as no one knows what they were programmed to scan for. They are all custom black boxes from what I read, the owner would pay Snap-on to custom program them just for certain kinds of vehicles (not all) to save money, so beware paying $100 for a VCI Cartridge unless the owner can tell you what scanning programs are actually on it as Snap on no longer programs or updates them, or the MT-2500.

The 99 Primary, if it covers Hyundai, will not cover Jeeps!!!! And visa versa. I am told by the old time experts on the snap on chat site never to try and use a troubleshooter cartridge on a later year rig as it can damage the ECU/PCM!!!! The Primary cartridge may be OK on newer rigs a few years newer. I used a 99 primary on my 2001 Saturn as I recall.

Thanks guys!

I did some poking around the RENIX Power page on yahoo, came up with cartridge #s "2998 Troubleshooter and 1099 Primary"

The local craigslist ad says:

I am guessing that will get me past the "version 2.2" recommendation. It should also help diagnose my wife's '03 Hyundai. ;)

I have texted the seller, who states: "It lists Jeep 84 to 99." We have confirmed the set does not have the "Jeep-1" adapter. I could spend less money for a base unit and try to build from there, but my gut tells me this purchase might not be so bad.

Anyway, I am still open to input, THANKS!

These "came up with cartridge #s "2998 Troubleshooter and 1099 Primary" have nothing to do with the version 2.2 brick/MT-2500 version spec. All MT-2500 cartridges work with the Version 2.2 scanner. There are some old, OLD, MT-2500 version scanners with V-2.0 and 1.7 I think that have crappy displays, not back lit and probably do not handle OBD-II.... that you do not want.

Slightly OT. With the proper serial cable and Jeep Renix connector later model Snap on scan tools will work. Albeit more money, probably than an MT2500.
We have a snap on 'Solus' at work, that communicates with renix.

I missed the bus with the MT2500 that was advertised. Tell me more about the Solus...

I missed the bus with the MT2500 that was advertised. Tell me more about the Solus...

Solus is the newer version. Quite a bit more coin too. Does a lot more for newer cars, but in the end, Renix will only give you data what ever modern scanner you get. Want to work on newer models too, might be worth getting to you.

i have a mt-2500 a solus and a modis. the solus i bought dead. the modis is nice but expensive.
if your going to only use it on the jeep. i would stick with the MT-2500. much easier to use.

I have been looking for this thread! I saw a set in the pawn shop yesterday, could not remember what to look at, what to avoid...

Solus is the newer version. Quite a bit more coin too. Does a lot more for newer cars, but in the end, Renix will only give you data what ever modern scanner you get. Want to work on newer models too, might be worth getting to you.

The MT-2500 will allow you to access the AW4 transmission computer and solenoids if you add the troubleshooting cartridge.:scared:

I have been looking for this thread! I saw a set in the pawn shop yesterday, could not remember what to look at, what to avoid...

I just sent you the whole buy list in a PM, and there is another much longer thread with more details in the tool forum (I PM'd you the link), it is the thread where others taught me about the MT-2500 before I started buying this and that cartridge etc. IT is great for rigs up to 2001, after that they stopped supporting it.

They are dirt cheap on ebay.

Tell those cro0os at the PS it is 20-30 year old outdated junk but you'll take it off their hands for $10 LOL.

Back