• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mount fitment issues

cletus141

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having trouble getting my stock replacement motor mounts in.* The first set I bought from Summit Racing.* I didn't try to install them when I noticed the metal sleeve in the rubber is shorter than the mounts I pulled out.* So I ran to O'reilly and bought theirs, which were basically identical to stock.* However, I could not get the engine mount holes to line up.* I have the 2 that attach the mount to the frame loose on both sides.* When I get 1 bolt in, the other side is about 1/2" off.* I am using the lift by oil pan with block on floor jack method.* Even with this, I'd have to put a block on the passenger side between the mount perch and the engine perch*to get the engine to rotate as it lowered.

Are the ones from Summit shorter on the sleeve to make install easier?* Do the mounts need to control engine position fore and aft, or just rotationally, side-to-side, and up-down?

This job was not as easy as advertised.* The OFA was a PITA (gonna eliminate it), I had to remove my A/C drier/accumulator (ok, because A/C is dead).*

Thanks

I'm having trouble getting my stock replacement motor mounts in.* The first set I bought from Summit Racing.* I didn't try to install them when I noticed the metal sleeve in the rubber is shorter than the mounts I pulled out.* So I ran to O'reilly and bought theirs, which were basically identical to stock.* However, I could not get the engine mount holes to line up.* I have the 2 that attach the mount to the frame loose on both sides.* When I get 1 bolt in, the other side is about 1/2" off.* I am using the lift by oil pan with block on floor jack method.* Even with this, I'd have to put a block on the passenger side between the mount perch and the engine perch*to get the engine to rotate as it lowered.

When installing engine mounts. leave all of the hardware loose until the last bolt is installed, this allows moving things into alignment.
My 2001's engine bay is packed but it's possible to do this by myself using a floor jack and come-a-long to move the engine into the proper position.
If it was really difficult, an engine hoist could also be used.

The new mounts should have the same dimensions as the old mounts, including the length of the metal sleeve, it's supposed to be a snug fit.

Back