• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ Project

caglezxj

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 91 cherokee, the day I got it home the front axle was removed. And the start of my lift had began. I will be running a modified Rusty's 8-9" lift, with full width axles. A exo cage, and I m going to chop the rear top off and put a commanche rear window panel in it. I have a dana 44 for up front, with chrome moly shafts, and a detroit locker. Do you guys think my dana 44 will hold 39 Iroks? If not I will be going with 37's. I have plenty of pics to post up. If someone will tell me how.

you need to find a website to host your images (many use sites like imageshack.com, or something like that.) Then you right click on the picture and go to properties. Go to location
Then copy the location of the pic
paste it into the thread

put the text between

thats all.

no way a 44 will handle 39's Iroks. it'll even be iffy with 37's.

it depends on how hard you beat on it. a guy in my club has 40" Pitbull on his dana 44 with yukons and ctms. he is yet to brake a warn premium hub and he beats on it hard.
river_rock_028.jpg

i have 38' tsls and i broke 3 stock shafts the last time i went out, but it was wet. i went to the 38 was because i had yukons and super joints on the way. i will be going up to the 39.5 this summer.

Well, about the axles not being strong enough. I think it will. I see stock XJ on 37's that hasn't broke anything yet. I did ask the question but I was thinking of a few guys I know that are all stock axles that is. I do have chrom moly's and ctm's so I believe it will be o.k. I have pics up on the web. I will post them up.

I have ordered some gussets for my low arm bracket. I moved my front axle forward about 2-3 inches so the tires will clear. I talked with a guy at the local off road store. He is a pecker head, and I really didn't know if he was setting me straight, but he told me I should just run my stock front drive shaft. Is this true?

Also have you guys seen where some xj owners are running a 93 or 96 up front drive shaft in the rear? I have seen that somewhere but don't remember. Which is the best driveshafts for the money.

i pushed my front forwad 3in and had to add 2in to my front shaft. i just cut it and put a piece of 1.75dom inside it and welded. it has been fine. for the rear a stock front was to short as well i have a retubed f150 rear shaft now. it was about a $150.

My friend is luck. He has flanges in the jeep now as he was afraid that the hub would not last much longer.

That's a hard question. Depends on alot of things, but I bet if you did a poll, 99.9% of the guys from the west coast are going to say no way in hell. 99.9% of us Southern wheelers are going to say, go for it. With CTM's and chromo shafts you won't have a problem if your not driving a stick, and your easy on the "Go" pedal. Out West they're driving on the equivalent of asphault (or sand paper). We're more mud and rock. Use your head out on the trail, and you'll be fine with 39.

the 44 should hold 37's there was a guy in my club running 37's and a 44 front no problems but when he went to 38's he started to brake shafts left and right now he runs a 60 front and rear

I will start a pole! Thanks for the input. I might still go with 37 iroks. Tires are also a issue, if you have big heavy tires you are more applicable to breaking. Iroks are a little lighter also. So it would be a plus. I really want 39's . But I want to see what everyones overall opinion is. I might go with 37's and when they wear out then run 39's if everything went good with the 37's.

As for the front drive shaft, It will be o.k. It only moved up on the slip yoke like a 1" 1.5" . And it has nearly no slip to it on the up and down travel. I believe I will be good there.

I m ordering my rear locker, gears, install kit tomorrow. I should have it here by the weekend. Will get some pics of the rear axle build asap.

yeah... i know its different terrain and I have never been wheeling back there. But my useless opinion is this. Why in the world would rockwells be so damn popular back in the east and midwest if you didnt need strength? Come on now!!!!!

You will tear a d44 apart no matter what your doing with 39s+.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77526 did you read this? maybe you should....

seriously... get smaller tires, or go bigger axles.

Without upgraded shafts 37s max and even then you will break. Personally I would run 36" iroks (measure out to 37) and be done. You won't need anything bigger really.-------------Kyle

Id run the 39's you were wanting to and if you start breaking stuff, well, put the 39's on the shelf or sell them and get a smaller tire. You'll never know if you don't try.

Alright enough tire talk for the moment. Probably will go with the 37's. Not 36's cause 37's measeure 36.50.

Experienced only!
Full Hydraulic, or Hyd Assist? Which do you guys prefer? This is a offroad vechicle only. Will be hauled to the trails.

I am running a 38.5 super swamper tsl never broke a shaft yet on my 44 although I run warn shafts, ctms, and I have wheeled in alot of places including clayton, disney, and moab. maybe it just luck. I also have friend who is running 39.5 pitbulls that has yet to brake a shaft on his hp44. so to each his own. I would do what you are comfort with doing.

Back