• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendations for NE Getaway

David_Bricker

PSR Fire Marshall
NAXJA Member
My wife and my 40th wedding anniversary is coming up at the end of this month (yes, I got married 5 years before I was born). Thinking of doing a surprise getaway somewhere relatively local.

I have a friend who is giving me a few nights in one of his time shares, in exchange for us having watched his dog for multiple times. It's within the Wyndham group, so fairly limited.

It appears I may have a choice of Newport, RI, Delaware Water Gap, Smugglers Notch, VT, and a couple of others. I'm looking to just chill. If we go for three nights, maybe do a small but of sightseeing.

I'm leaning towards Newport, RI, to get some overly expensive Maine lobster before we head way west later this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions of the above areas? Things we should see to/from us in upstate, NY?

David Bricker / SYR

Maybe it's just that I spent an entire summer in Newport but there isn't much to do there. I guess there are some nice beaches, and Plymouth plantation isn't too far, but ehh. I would do smugglers notch personally.

All the tourist stuff I really know is on the north shore and in NH/ME. My cousins had a place in mattapoisett but I haven't been there in probably 15 years now.

Thanks for the info; I was hoping you'd post up.

I'm not looking to do much, but if we could get a place with a nice view of the ocean/water/harbor, I'd be happy. I've got views of trees in my back yard.

I'll see what the time shares have in the way of availability. Maybe that will make the choice for me.

David Bricker / SYR

That's probably as good a place to start as any.

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions, but congratulations on the anniversary!

I vacationed for a week at a lake house close to Smuggs 2 years ago. Beautiful area. I fished and played a lot of golf though.

I'm also a huge Newport fan. Spent summers on a sailboat on nearby jamestown. Tons of bars and restaurants and the mansions/ cliff walk is a great tourist spot. Maybe the Tennis Hall of Fame too if that interests you.

David have you ever explored the Thousand Islands Region? You have water, docks, fishing, hiking, dock bars and restaurants, boat tours (Google Boldt Castle), etc, etc.
You do know we have a house there, right?
It's worth checking out, especially for a short trip.
I'm unsure as to what travel restrictions are still in place, but there are also a couple of great day trips (driving or car ferry) into Canada from there. Fort Henry comes to mind.
Rich

Looks like we going to head to Newport. I was able to get reservations on a reasonable set of days, at a place that is 50 yards from a lobster shack. The condo has a jacuzzi tub, and a hot tub, so I'm set. It also has a roof deck with sunset facing views of the harbor.

I appreciate the suggestions. Looking for a relaxing time, and not doing much of anything.

Rich, we have been to the Thousand islands, but it's been 30 years. May need to go again before we move. Way too many places we've put off for the last 35 years, but I hope we can get to a few of them. I didn't know you had a place up there. Gotta be beautiful in the summer. You drive within 10 miles of our place on your way up there.

David Bricker / SYR

David,

When are you going to be in Newport?

I know all the good, and really good places to go to. I'll put a list together.

--Matt

David,

When are you going to be in Newport?

I know all the good, and really good places to go to. I'll put a list together.

--Matt

Our reservations are for Sunday, April 24th - Thursday, April 28th. However, we will be heading home on Wednesday, April 27th as my wife has appointments on the 28th that can't be changed. It's 6 hours drive from home, so we'll likely leave in the early afternoon from Newport.

We're actually staying in Jamestown, as the Newport locations were full. My wife is going to HATE the bridge over to Newport; she'll have to close her eyes for that part of the trip.

I'm debating seeing if I can push my luck and stay Saturday night near Mystic, CT. It breaks up the driving a bit (I don't care for long drives) and would give us a chance to check out Mystic. There also is a lobster place (Newport Lobster Shack) I'd like to go to, and they are only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It will be a bit of a push to be sure we're there before 5:00pm on Sunday, coming all the way from home. Much easier in coming from Mystic.

I appreciate any recommendations. Not looking to fill all the time with activities, but options are good. Interested in eating local seafood, maybe seeing some of the local flavor. Likely be the only time we're here, since we're moving later this year.

Also would be interested in knowing if Mystic is worth the visit.

David Bricker / SYR

I'm debating seeing if I can push my luck and stay Saturday night near Mystic, CT. It breaks up the driving a bit (I don't care for long drives) and would give us a chance to check out Mystic. There also is a lobster place (Newport Lobster Shack) I'd like to go to, and they are only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It will be a bit of a push to be sure we're there before 5:00pm on Sunday, coming all the way from home. Much easier in coming from Mystic.

I appreciate any recommendations. Not looking to fill all the time with activities, but options are good. Interested in eating local seafood, maybe seeing some of the local flavor. Likely be the only time we're here, since we're moving later this year.

Also would be interested in knowing if Mystic is worth the visit.

David Bricker / SYR

Definitely a cool place to spend a night. I'd recommend the S&P Oyster Restaurant right next to the bridge in the middle of town (I'm a bit partial to that spot as my previous company built the gearing that raises/lowers that bridge).

The Mystic Seaport Museum is a great way to spend a few hours if the weather is nice as well.

Yes, mystic is worth the visit. Also a town over, Stonington has a nice downtown that's much quieter and Watch Hill RI is a cool breach town as well. Taylor Swift has a summer house on the beach there.

David,

Here are a few restaurants that should be on your list while there. Full disclosure, I race sailboats and have been going to Newport regularly for 12 years. These places are on mine and everyone's go-to lists.

Breakfast - Franklin Spa, Spring St., Looks like a hole in the wall, but this place will quickly rank as one of the best breakfast places you've ever been to.

Brunch - Clarke Cooke House, Bannister's Wharf, Can get busy, brunch is amazing and is the best time to get in here. Bloody Marys are top notch.

Lunch - Newport Lobster Shack, Long Wharf, Get your lobster roll fix here.

Dinner - Scales & Shells, Thames St., reservations are recommended. This is the place for a proper seafood dinner.

Dinner - The Mooring Seafood Kitchen & Bar, Sayers Wharf, another fantastic dinner place and damn swanky looking place as well

Night cap - IAYC (International Yacht & Athletic Club), Thames St., this is a sailor bar, full stop. But it is what a bar should be, good, cheap drinks served by a snarky bar tender. always a fun crowd, never stuffy. Order a Dark & Stormy to really fit in.

Parking tip - Parking in Newport sucks balls. If you don't mind walking, drive to the southern end of downtown and look for Wellington Ave. There are lots of public parking spots to be found here and to the streets just off Wellington. Mind the signs and you should find a free spot to park all day.

The mansions - the south end of Newport is where all the mansions are. Grab a map or you Googles and go for a drive or walk. Absolutely gorgeous architecture. The Breakers, Castle Hill, Fort Adams, beautiful stuff.

Enjoy your trip.

--Matt

Thank you all for the recommendations. We'll definitely check them out.

Unfortunately, a Saturday night stay in Mystic isn't going to happen this trip. We had a late storm come through and dump 10" of wet, heavy "heart attack" snow on us this past Sunday night. We lost power and didn't get it back until this afternoon. So, we need tomorrow to get ready to leave on Sunday.

Staying on the Jamestown side is a bit of a drag, since the restaurants are in Newport, but it's not bad distance, just the bridge issue. But, it will work out OK.

On the way home Wednesday, we may try and catch a bit of Mystic, and have lunch at S&P Oyster restaurant.

David Bricker / SYR

Well, we made it to Newport, despite 1/2 of all MA drivers trying to kill us on the road. I thought horrendous driving was mostly limited to Boston, but noooo.

Got to Newport Lobster Shack at 3:30pm, mouth ready for a lobster roll. NOPE. Place closed, they already had sold out of everything. So, we'll miss them.

Went to The Mooring instead. Very good food. Got a couple of soups, couple of appetizers, and a lobster tail. The "add-on" tail was tasty, but tiny. We may go back for a regular lobster dinner.

Also heard about The Coast Guard House in Narragansett. Anyone know about it?

David_Bricker / SYR - NPT

Back